Carver Vs. Adcom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have & had more than few Carer amps, ie M1.5, M1.0, PM2.0, M400a and TFM 35. Newly, I aquired used Adcom GFA 585 and Rotel RB1080 to venture out of Carver stuff.

My question is Carver uses 8 to 10 output BJT in serial Vs. Adcom gfa 585 and Rotel RB1080 uses same numbers of outputs in parallel. Carver claims high current on his amps as well as Adcom 585 and Rotel 1080 said they are too.
My self educated knowledge tells me both parallel and serial can not be right about their claim of "high current". Who is right? Can both right about their claims?

Thank you in advance for your contribution.

Don't make fun of the guy just because he has Carver amps. A bit of compassion is more appropriate.

Paralleling generally indicates that each parallel device contributes to the total current, ie if a device is rated at a max current of 10A, 10 parallel devices will be capable of 100A or a bit less in practice. A series connection, otoh, is limited by the max current of the least current-capable device. A series connection of 100A devices will be capable of 100A irrespective of the number of devices.

A Carver M1.5 can put out more than 600W/4R from (essentially) one pair of outputs.

That's 12.24A RMS from a device rated at 25A peak.

If you need to drive a speaker that has less than 4R impedance a different amplifier may be in order, say the M1.5L (designed for 2R loads).

If you need to drive your 0R25 ribbons, use a mono McIntosh MC2300.

In other words, buy an amplifier intended to drive your load.

I own some Crest CK series. In that series they make an 800W unit optimized for 70V lines (400W/12R), one for 8R/4R, and another for 4R/2R.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.