Dx Troyan, a 650 watts channel amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlos, I know you have made many Great amps. Please consider applying your talent to making this super power amp a reality for those that want this class of power amplifier. I know you could if you would want to. There are several big amps on this forum, but I think a Great amp has yet to be done at the power level that seems to elude the 400 watt 8 ohm level. There is always talk of Danger and such. The transistors to do it are out there to do the power output. The front end just needs to be done to make it happen and it needs to be done right, by the likes of you.
Thanks for all you have taught me and maybe others.
IF it can and will be done, it will be done by YOU.

The basic problem with amplifiers in such power that exist in the forum is the non existing and proper documentation .Many amplifiers of that power are very poor n design and one that will construct will eventually have to do also the ""dirty"" and more important job of debugging the circuit and the pcb .\

there are many ""designers "" here that posted a schematic but the supporting circuits are simply ...not available ...Just to refresh your memory in an amplifier of such power ...to produce the power is the easiest thing in the world Get your shelf a nice input stage big trafos plenty of outputs huge capacitors and you will be able to deliver the power .

Let us no forget how many of these designers just placed the schematics in the forum to push people to construct in order to debug the circuit or the pcb and when the problems start simply comment in a very bad way .

Still an amplifier of that magnitude can not be finished only with the above ....A clever VI limiter may be something more sophisticated like a protection /or limiter for the VAS stage , maybe some clever input limiter and so on will complete the amplifier and make it ready for pro use .

The juice on so big amps is that if you want safety you will eventually have to sacrifice some quality to achieve the safety margins ....learn to live with it .

We should be feeling very happy since most of the times uncle Charly's projects are crowded with very willing people so all the available help is there ....Also uncle is a non stop workhorse so yes support will also come from there ...

A well documented working amplifier in similar power is the Dirty Harry designed by Fotios and it is as i said a ""working" amp .... plenty of modules produced and working properly

Kind regards
Σακης Πετροπουλος

Last edited:
People, at least in Brasil, love bargain....such kind of amplifier

will be very expensive....may have ten guys interested and no more than that...and foruns here are also big...200 thousand guys forum exist in my country that has almost 180 Million people... the average is 1 builder to thousand folks (200 thousand divided by 1000 we have aproximately 200 builders maximum)....for this level of cost/price amplifier we have one builder for 20000 folks.... this is a kind of statistics i have made studying this forum since 2004.

So, no one will be interested to produce layout to this kind of amplifier in a cooperative way... we have Alex mm...but he makes his layout and finish....no one change his ideas about layout and i want to put my finger on that too...also my friends that loves to sell pcboards (in Brasil) will not be interested to provide 20 pcboards.... 20 pcboards cost a lot to produce...and big pcboards are much more expensive.

Very demanding amplifier..needs all care about supply, cables, wiring, transformers, capacitors, demanding related heatsink...well....very hard to be made a safe unit because a short in the output without a protection may kill several transistors and i do not use V/I limiter because i understand it as a sonic criminal.....so.....not to kill sonics i would avoid the the limiter and forced to compensate the lack of limiter increasing the output transistor count....because such kind of philosophy, my unit will cost much more than units made by others as they install limiter without any shame about that.

In Brasil, home mains wiring is to 10 amperes..also fuses....this way it is a problem to feed such kind of amplifier that may produce more than kilowatt at 4/2 ohms

Builders of this level of power must be much more skilled... a small mistake in biasing can damage the amplifier.

Also forum management do not want us to publish amplifiers that uses dangerous voltages...because some young folks, non skilled powerholics, may kill themselves.

I am not the guy to do such kind of amplifier....i do think the unit Sakis said is a good option.... Fotios amplifier.

Thank you anyway...but i am out to do that.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Troyan suffered a lot of criticism... S.O.A was the main problem

The matter of fact is that professionals are using it (12) and no one of them have ever failed.

Four years passed.... they are used daily inside clubs...no one failed!

All them well built, with several fan blowers and huge heatsinks.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Troyan assembled.jpg
    Troyan assembled.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 368
Status
Not open for further replies.