Dx Troyan, a 650 watts channel amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have full agreement dear Nico

No doubts you are right...i am sorry if i gave you the idea i had not agreement with yout thougths,....of course i agree.....they make a lot of sense.

Yes..powerfull speakers can survive several seconds plugged to the wall outlet... despite people do not believe, we have several examples published in the internet (youtube)

regards,

Carlos

Nico,
concerning the salesman and the speakers you are kidding right. I know of no speaker on this planet that would withstand a full short from the wall outlet. Not a direct short but close enough.

Where did you get the pcb for this project. Is the heatsink something you assembled from aluminum plate? It is quite robust.

Now if we could the big shots at DIY audio to design and test some 500+ watt amps maybe they would be less critical of those of us who want MORE POWER. Thank you Carlos for this. Many thanks.

In the early 70's a 100 watt amplifier was something you bought for your kids. A nice 300 watt continuous output RMS was a place to start. Maybe 16-24 outputs per channel. Though today I rarely need this much power, for some reason, I just want to have it on the shelf. You never know when some heavy kettle drums are going to pop up -- In the air tonight by Phil Collins.
Tad

Last edited:
Carlos,

Congratulations with your new design. I trust that the builders will enjoy this one as much as they did all your previous designs.

I would like to make one recommendation in that you remove the soldermask from the power lines so that the constructor can solder a copper busbar (see attached picture).

I have found this necessary on high power amps laid out this way. as there is a considerable voltage drop across the PCB track from the first to last transistor and you find the first works harder than the last.

Kindest regards

Nico

Hello Nico ,

Is your Troyan up and running yet ?

Troyan ressurrection.....brazilians wants it for a subwoofer amplifier

to work together their Dx Blame ST and Dx Blame MKII Supercharged...so...two versions will be made.

One to 300 watts RMS, sinusoidal unclipped at 100 hertz....audio band will be from 10 hertz to 200 hertz, active filters will be included, one to each channel to collect bass from both channels.... and another model with 600 watts RMS... same board will be good to both models.

We gonna run group buy, next year, maybe April or May, to heatsinks, toroidal power transformers, condensers, enclosures and pcboards..... boards will be offered to the international communitty too.... the specification is conservative... in the reality the amplifier will put out much more than that...this is to play continuously, having sinusoidal tone at the input, loaded and unclipped.

The video is the start of studies about enclosure and how to assemble.... the idea is 4 heatsinks used to the Supercharged stereo linked together using " L " profiles...that will make them a single heatsink unit and will be able to fix these heatsinks into the enclosure side panels...board will be layed down, flat and long board...Alex mm style and deeply inspired in this great layout designer, will be along the up cover..that is the heatsink...mounted upside down...enclosure insides will have transformer(s), rectifier, filters and ative input filters using high end integrated circuits from Burr and Brown....also passive filter will be provided if people want to try them (R/C)

Here you have a video, a first study about..in portuguese because this design is absolutelly Brazilian, since the first transistor till the last screw.... the Troyan was designed from the scratch.

Troyan is operating all these monthes..despite criticisms, the unit is reliable and reproduces a wonderfull sound....now a days, high end, after some secret tweaks i have made.

Here you have a video...the first study...first decisions...enclosure and decisions about the power needs to work together Dx Blame ST (300 watts subwoofer) or Dx Blame MKII Supercharged (600 watts subwoofer):

YouTube - Troyan sub woofer - 600W RMS with double active filters

To the Dx Blame ST, operating two channels at 8 ohms...one Supercharged board can be uses as a subwoofer amplifier, as it can put out much more than 200 wiskies.

Uncle Charlie can loose battles...but never the whole war!

regards,

Carlos

Four heatsink plates.... 27 by 13 centimeters each one, will be placed side by side

and united by a double aluminium side bar ( L type brackets that will serve to fix the up cover (heatsinks plus power amplifier) into the enclosure.

We had that, in a group buy, paying a very good price...so....will be better to join 4 pieces than to buy a single big piece of 50 by 30 centimeters... 4 centimeters high (fins)

regards,

Carlos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Of course, a wind tunnel can also be used ... for cooling purposes

using less aluminium...smaller size....but it is noisy to use while the amplifier is playing at low volumes.... you can hear these fan blowing air.

This amplifier pumps out a conservative 600 watts..this is continuous.... and undistorted...much more than that can be achieved during peaks or entering some tolerable level of distortion...it is stronger than 600 watts..... it is better to say... 600 watts minimum!

regards,

Carlos

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
I have not absolute sure it will be done...these are my plans

but those plans depend on a range of pre conditions.

I want 30 guys (minimum) from the Brazilian group, who enroll and ensure that they are together from the beginning to the end of the project.
... because some of them order boards without know exactly how the project will cost and stop when perceive that gonna spend a lot of money..

I have asked a study of costs..we are preparing list of parts and people will search price lists and special prices when ordering in big quantities.... we can have discount when ordering 120 heatsinks...for instance.

This way people will know how cheap or expensive the project gonna result to their pockets.... i want top high end pcboards..the best ones we can manufacture in São Paulo..and this costs a lot...much more than you pay in China... and i want them Made in Brazil.

Mitchel was invited to produce boards inspired in Alex mm boards, with some modifications i want to make.... he have not confirmed if will be free at april to produce boards and gerbers, to manage National and International group buy and to start to manage the baords production in the end of april to ship boards at end June as dead line.

I am organizing together my people, several group buys to them to order parts (to Brazil only because high costs of shipment to overseas)... we want to be buying heatsinks, transformers, enclosures, transistors, condensers and all hardware in advance to board's production.

Well.... we have collected 10 signatures in two days.... till January i hope we gonna collect all 30 minimum quantity to go go ahead and advance into the project... also Michael may be invited to produce design and boards to active filter input...have to create and test them.

I do think group buy here will be for boards only...well...this depends on Mitchel, not me.

We wish to run these things along January, february, march and april.

We are just starting to work with it.... the amplifier is ready to go..only small modifications to make it exclusive to subwoofer (i am deciding if gonna accept what my friends ask about..i am not sure if this is a good idea as we may loose a full range amplifier when we can have two switching the input active filter...by passing it or bypassing them).

So...there are many things to arrange and organize ... I hope to get this project put in motion soon.

For a while i cannot guarantee it gonna run...for instance...if Mitchel dennied to produce boards.... then everything gonna stop...i want some different things in that board and i need to explain in portuguese, will be easier than to explain to Alex mm.

I big hug Tryonziess... thank you by the traditional confidence...and let's wish that everything gonna be all rigth.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
It is all right...Mitchel have accepted

We may run a new Troyan (revised and customized to 600 Watts - 4 ohms)

Will be the last DIY project developed, by uncle Charlie, for the DIY community.... after July we gonna be forum readers and our site will have amplifiers as business.

Advertising in posts will finish and we gonna be reading forum only....so, advertising will be stopping 6 monthes before we will changing from DIY to business....we may have paid oficial advertising in this forum after July....but will be paid advertising....some videos as demonstration will be made because along these next monthes we will be running DIY (the spirit...for free...non profit) and group buy.

I will be giving follow up to the Supercharged too...boards to " Made in Brazil Troyan", will be high end double face boards....the best possible quality achieved from board manufacturers in Brasil will be the target.

layout will be created end june...boards will be ordered and shipped second week of July.....and they will be DIY.....then follow up will be provided till the ones have ordered boards, inside group buy inside this forum, assemble their units.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Carlos,
If at all possible I would like the heatsinks, whether multiple small ones or a single large one, to come from Brazil. From what I have seen in the past we can purchase in your country for a very good price. Many of the large aluminum conglomerates are melting aluminum in your area. Most of the large casting at work have Brazil stamped on them.
Please keep us up to date on this. And good luck with the commercial venture. Also, Have a very nice Christmas to you and your family.

Tad

As soon we start brazilian group buy for heatsinks,

then i will put you in contact with the heatsink brazilian group buy manager to provide you the heatsinjks you want.

Do not worry....i will not forget that.

You arrange details with him...for sure will be without profit...amd you are right....Alcoa and all important industries are making huge investments here... a heatsink alike you could see...27 by 12 centimetes is costing something around 10 USD each....i believe this is not expensive...they are heavy, almost 2 pounds of aluminium each piece...and able to work with a 130 watts amplifier driving full power to each piece of heatsink...and this in a 30 degrees celsius environment.

regards,

Carlos

Hi!

It's been a year now I have'nt heard from those DIYers who finished this project...
Any word from them?..

If I made this project, I prefer the name "Trojan", a defender of Troy just like Destroyer X
defending his unit from detractors and critics...

For those who made this monster, how would you compare this with the renowned
maker such as Holton, Leach, Aussie, Ras, McIntosh with the same rail voltage...
Any word of Fidelity, Sonics, Reliabilty, etc...

Regards,

Ric

No progress... lack of interest of forum builders

These kind of expensive units are hard to be made.... they cost a lot of dollars..then people keep distant from them.

I am developing another one that may not be well accepted too....because expensive.... the new one may use 24 pairs of output transistors, and the circuit is very old, from the Dx amplifier.... will be for bass only.

Troyan sounds great... i have played for very long time at my home and it is very good...but it is expensive...too much expensive to average buiders.

regards,

Carlos

Status
Not open for further replies.