Dx Troyan, a 650 watts channel amplifier. - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2010, 01:07 AM   #301
diyAudio Member

Default You have full agreement dear Nico

No doubts you are right...i am sorry if i gave you the idea i had not agreement with yout thougths,....of course i agree.....they make a lot of sense.

Yes..powerfull speakers can survive several seconds plugged to the wall outlet... despite people do not believe, we have several examples published in the internet (youtube)

regards,

Carlos
Old 17th October 2010, 01:22 AM   #302
diyAudio Member

hi nico ras
greetings which amplifier is this stunning looks how many watts is it
thanking you
andrew lebon
Old 17th October 2010, 01:55 AM   #303
diyAudio Member

Nico,
concerning the salesman and the speakers you are kidding right. I know of no speaker on this planet that would withstand a full short from the wall outlet. Not a direct short but close enough.

Where did you get the pcb for this project. Is the heatsink something you assembled from aluminum plate? It is quite robust.

Now if we could the big shots at DIY audio to design and test some 500+ watt amps maybe they would be less critical of those of us who want MORE POWER. Thank you Carlos for this. Many thanks.

In the early 70's a 100 watt amplifier was something you bought for your kids. A nice 300 watt continuous output RMS was a place to start. Maybe 16-24 outputs per channel. Though today I rarely need this much power, for some reason, I just want to have it on the shelf. You never know when some heavy kettle drums are going to pop up -- In the air tonight by Phil Collins.
Tad

Last edited by tryonziess; 17th October 2010 at 02:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 17th October 2010, 08:01 AM   #304
diyAudio Member

I am not hi-jacking Carlos' thread.
Old 17th October 2010, 10:08 AM   #305
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default kW test for speaker power handling

115Vac into 8ohm speaker is only 1653W. There are quite a few manufacturers who claim power handling (continuous sinewave) in excess of this.

240Vac into a pair of series connected 8ohm speakers is 3600W, that's ~1800W per speaker.
Old 24th November 2010, 03:36 PM   #306
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
Carlos,

Congratulations with your new design. I trust that the builders will enjoy this one as much as they did all your previous designs.

I would like to make one recommendation in that you remove the soldermask from the power lines so that the constructor can solder a copper busbar (see attached picture).

I have found this necessary on high power amps laid out this way. as there is a considerable voltage drop across the PCB track from the first to last transistor and you find the first works harder than the last.

Kindest regards

Nico

Hello Nico ,

Is your Troyan up and running yet ?
Old 19th December 2010, 07:51 AM   #307
diyAudio Member

Default Troyan ressurrection.....brazilians wants it for a subwoofer amplifier

to work together their Dx Blame ST and Dx Blame MKII Supercharged...so...two versions will be made.

One to 300 watts RMS, sinusoidal unclipped at 100 hertz....audio band will be from 10 hertz to 200 hertz, active filters will be included, one to each channel to collect bass from both channels.... and another model with 600 watts RMS... same board will be good to both models.

We gonna run group buy, next year, maybe April or May, to heatsinks, toroidal power transformers, condensers, enclosures and pcboards..... boards will be offered to the international communitty too.... the specification is conservative... in the reality the amplifier will put out much more than that...this is to play continuously, having sinusoidal tone at the input, loaded and unclipped.

The video is the start of studies about enclosure and how to assemble.... the idea is 4 heatsinks used to the Supercharged stereo linked together using " L " profiles...that will make them a single heatsink unit and will be able to fix these heatsinks into the enclosure side panels...board will be layed down, flat and long board...Alex mm style and deeply inspired in this great layout designer, will be along the up cover..that is the heatsink...mounted upside down...enclosure insides will have transformer(s), rectifier, filters and ative input filters using high end integrated circuits from Burr and Brown....also passive filter will be provided if people want to try them (R/C)

Here you have a video, a first study about..in portuguese because this design is absolutelly Brazilian, since the first transistor till the last screw.... the Troyan was designed from the scratch.

Troyan is operating all these monthes..despite criticisms, the unit is reliable and reproduces a wonderfull sound....now a days, high end, after some secret tweaks i have made.

Here you have a video...the first study...first decisions...enclosure and decisions about the power needs to work together Dx Blame ST (300 watts subwoofer) or Dx Blame MKII Supercharged (600 watts subwoofer):

YouTube - Troyan sub woofer - 600W RMS with double active filters

To the Dx Blame ST, operating two channels at 8 ohms...one Supercharged board can be uses as a subwoofer amplifier, as it can put out much more than 200 wiskies.

Uncle Charlie can loose battles...but never the whole war!

regards,

Carlos
Old 19th December 2010, 08:20 AM   #308
diyAudio Member

Default Four heatsink plates.... 27 by 13 centimeters each one, will be placed side by side

and united by a double aluminium side bar ( L type brackets that will serve to fix the up cover (heatsinks plus power amplifier) into the enclosure.

We had that, in a group buy, paying a very good price...so....will be better to join 4 pieces than to buy a single big piece of 50 by 30 centimeters... 4 centimeters high (fins)

regards,

Carlos

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by destroyer X; 19th December 2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 19th December 2010, 10:37 AM   #309
diyAudio Member

Default Of course, a wind tunnel can also be used ... for cooling purposes

using less aluminium...smaller size....but it is noisy to use while the amplifier is playing at low volumes.... you can hear these fan blowing air.

This amplifier pumps out a conservative 600 watts..this is continuous.... and undistorted...much more than that can be achieved during peaks or entering some tolerable level of distortion...it is stronger than 600 watts..... it is better to say... 600 watts minimum!

regards,

Carlos

Click the image to open in full size.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by destroyer X; 19th December 2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 19th December 2010, 05:25 PM   #310
diyAudio Member

Uncle Charlie,
Do you see April as a good estimate for the pcb's to be ready for us to purchase? I will need to start stockpiling money for this project.
A real sure enough speaker melting amplifier. I can not remember any big layouts like this. I like it.

Tad

Hide this!Advertise here!