Can Anyone Identify This Component in Meridian 103/5 Power Amps Please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has to be a normally open thermal switch. (or a big NTC thermistor, you'd have to look much closer into the circuit to see what that would do, but measuring the part is easy) When the sink rises to the trip point it clamps off the supply to voltage stage through the isolating resistors.

Last edited:
I tried to edit that post 15 times. It's the input stage left after the resistors, the stage that handles voltage gain is before it, and those aren't just isolation resistors, they're dropping resistors for the zeners. An NTC on there would have to seriously drop the supply to the input section before the bias regulator dropped out, so it probably wouldn't be any more effective than a thermal switch. An ohm meter will give you the answer.

Last edited:
So, now I have another question regarding this repair attempt. I hope you guys don't mind.

I've removed all the transistors and tested them with the diode test of my multimeter and they all worked fine for that. Is it a reliable enough test for this situation? It seems not to me, as the amp doesn't work.

Lee.

doing a diode test on a BJT requires 6 measurements.
4 will not pass current and two will pass current showing 500 to 600mVdc.

Try to set up a 5V or 6V battery supply and a couple of resistors to allow you to measure the gain of the transistor. Look up Pass or ESP to see the test circuit.

Hi Andrew, thanks.

I did the the six tests on all the transistors and they seemed ok, but I'm sure a couple of them showed ~720mVdc, which didn't seem significant, but they all only passed current on two tests.

I'll have a read as you suggest and build the gain measurement circuit.

Thanks again, Lee.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.