Symasym 5.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Would Symasym 5.3 be considered a suitable project for a relative beginner - Perhaps I shouldn have asked this question earlier but I got a bit carried away a few months ago and started building it, but now I'm close to being able to power it up and putting it in a case I'm starting to get cold feet and wonder if I've taken on too much.

Encouragment please!!!!

Richard

It's the best time, the moment of power-up, GO FOR IT !

Some precautions I took:

a) double check that all the parts are the correct ones and installed correctly - it's easy to have simple errors like the output drivers transposed (i.e. the NPN device is where the PNP should be and vice versa)

b) measure the resistance between the + and - supply rails with an ohmeter - a value of close to zero means stop, something ain't right

c) for the first power-up take the fuses out of the power rails and replace them with large 10 Ohm resistors. Don't connect speakers. I assume you have fuses, if not just put the resistors into the power feed. If the resistors get very hot you have something wrong. If the resistors are OK you can look for things like excessive dc-offset at the output so you don't inadvertently hurt your speakers. These resistors will drop the voltage so your amp will not be at full operating voltage but it does provide a crude current limit. It saved my 2nd amplifier build from blowing up.

d) if all looks good, pop in the real fuses and give it a go !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.