Dx Blame ST, operating from 18 to 24 Volts (unloaded) - Class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You know, as i have commented i do not like Class A, my environement, climate, weather, temperature, is too much hot to use class a...also i already have oven to cook food.

They compress, they kill treble, they distort in a very ugly way (awfull clipping), they are very weak in power, waste a lot of energy..well...it is impossible to me to accept that...i do not feel confortable, also i do not feel myself as an inteligent man using these amplifiers.

Despite of that, i know people loves, also they do not distort, crossover
distortion is almost zero, and this turns the sound interesting.

I very good and old friend from Croatia has asked me..them i have prepared..but no way to me to build..for sure will work...as there's no reason to fail..circuit is clear, simulation shows enormous stability and very low distortion..lower than others.

It may be even better than the Dx Blame ST..for the ones loves low power and high heat.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Blame Croatia - 24V.jpg
    Blame Croatia - 24V.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 863
  • Dx Blame Croatia - 18 to 24V - Class A.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 290
  • Dx Blame Croatia - AC analisis.jpg
    Dx Blame Croatia - AC analisis.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 766
Will i build this one to test?....no way!

But it may be one of the best audio amplifiers ever made.

Board is the same board used in Dx Blame ES and Dx Blame ST.... details and layout in Greg home pages, and adjust stand by current to 1.2 A each rail:

Made for 8 ohms speaker..wanna use lower impedance?, then will have to re adjust, increasing the stand by current (my god!..heat!)

Greg's Web Site

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Dx Blame Croatia schematic.jpg
    Dx Blame Croatia schematic.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 791
  • Dx Blame Croatia, 18V simulation.jpg
    Dx Blame Croatia, 18V simulation.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 736
  • Dx Blame Croatia - Fourier analisis chart.jpg
    Dx Blame Croatia - Fourier analisis chart.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 642
It is very possible the Croatian friend will assemble..then he will post review

He is skilled..an engineer, a special one...that kind of engineers that assemble things, that test and compare...the one travells to go to all high end demonstration of audio equipment, the one loves Bora amplifiers and Aksa amplifiers (me too!).... he use to build tube amplifiers..... the one knows... deeply knowledge.

Also, his constrution is much better than others (several) can do.

Let's see if he will manage to build... the guy is good...very, very good!

His town is Osijek, in Croatia.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Take a good look at the distortion and harmonic distribution

compare with the best operational amplifiers and you will see the entire amplifier distorting 2.78 times less than some chips (the good ones)....also, it is 29 times less distorted compared to the Dx Amplifier, mine standard one.

Compare the specification with the competition and you gonna see this one comes to desintegrate, to vaporize the competition.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• THD distortion.jpg
    THD distortion.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 117
If you have a 24 to 32 volts, symetrical supply, then you can use this

voltage regulator (Ampex and Sony - 1975).

It has capacitance multiplier, that 470uf appear in the output, to each rail output, alike a virtual capacitor.... the value of this virtual filtering is around
500.000uF to each rail...this slows down the circuit...so, to use together an AB amplifier, the ones has enormous variation of current, then remove this big condenser and replace it by a 4.7uf or something alike.

This was made, customized, to my Croatian friend...as he has a 24 volts huge symetrical power supply...this way he can have a laboratory supply, and will be able to adjust from 4.7 volts each rail up to the supply rectified voltage.

Stabilization is around 5 percent or less..sometimes you can have 1 percent..depends the voltage adjusted..to 12 volts adjusted you gonna have 1 percent..adjusting to 18 volts, then you gonna have 5 percent.

transistors can be the ones you want..they must face the voltage, and the series pass must face the current you gonna "suck" or drain from this supply.

It is adjustable, it is stabilized, the filtering is awsome, the ripple is very small.

Can be used, was made, re calculated, customized, to my Croatian friend, to use together this Class A audio amplifier.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Symetrical supply customized to my dear Croatian friend.pdf
    68.3 KB · Views: 275
Carlos - as you know - i am building it slowly...
more pictures and details are on this page:
- Blame ST amplifier - class A version (Pulse.Audio.Team)

it will be entirely made from my junk box from what i have ... will not be preety but hopefully it will sound very very good..... :)
thanks btw. for your modification of the original amplifier that fits into what i have (transformer)...
:)

Post 9 was not for you or because of you Sparkle..it is a generic

advertising, made from time to time....the focus are forum diyers, builders...to invite them to build some.

take the time you need....do not make it in a hurry.

I would like to inform to newcomers, new guys in our forum, that Dx Corporation does not exists in the real world, it is just an idea, alike a club, a group of people that enjoy build and have built Dx amplifiers.

People use to come asking for boards to sell.... we have not boards to sell.... Dx Corporation is not a business for money...it is a business for enjoyment, to have people happy listening nice amplifiers and for free.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Sorry to be so short, so direct... this comment was directed to the ones use to build

Dx amplifiers, the "mufled" comment as i use to say that to them... they know what i think about class A as they have asked me to make an class A several times...i said them..increase your output bias as other transistors are already in class A.
they will not understand why i am posting something in class A as this may be an "abomination" in my life..something very strange to happens here..to publish, design, adjust, assemble or anything in class A..i hate heat...if heatsink is hotter than a human fever then it is too much and i increase heatsink or a fan blower is installed.....here is too much hot to class a amplifiers.

I used to build..thousands and thousands amplifiers Wayne...50 years doing that..addicted, sick, crazy for audio... i cannot leave without build..daily..sometimes two each day.... and because of that i have my conclusions...they are based in a very simple sittuation... a non complex analisis.

First build - result - mufled..losses in high end..sound alike below a pillow, or behing a curtain, a clothing material covering the tweeter...loss of brigth.

Second built... result....the same

Third built..... result....the same

After 100 i have concluded.... finally!...that sounded mufled...and as several where operating class A, with different schematics, different designers..then i started to think that class A sounds mufled to my ears, to my taste, in my home, with my musics, in my subjective and personnal evaluation.

I am building.... rigth now, a class A, from NP....because this one i have not build..will not post conclusions, as do not want to bother NP..but i want to know if this one is different..buiding to me, to myself, to check a different schematic never assembled.

What are my spectations?.... mufled of course!...you may say... change your speaker!.... and i did it several times.... i have not assembled yet... spectations only..things will happens near future (explaing in details to no english speaking people alike me...we use to misunderstand very easy)

I accept that others loves class A..reason why i have suggested this one to my dear friend from Croatia..he likes...so...he will enjoy.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dsdsds 2086.jpg
    dsdsds 2086.jpg
    825.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
De nada..you are welcome.... sorry.... i dislike to discuss

as i have made that several times... had created enemies because of that..now a days i am limiting to post my opinions, as i do not like debate... do not want to convince others..i would like them to try amplifiers alike i do.... to assemble and them to evaluate by themselves in the place to leave under the rule of "I think so! ".....so, they will understand what i mean and will not need to argue about things they have perceived too.

Sorry...i was too much short...you deserve more attention, i apologize..too much acid i was with you.

I am ---ing tired of discussions and people trying to give me hard time... really upset with these things.... i am trying to calm down...it is beeing hard as i am mad against some few guys, alike a crab inside a hot can (people use to cook crabes this way...awfull that... alive!)

I am from Rio de Janeiro... a french town, another culture...in Northeast, where i am living now, they cook crabs this way...alive!

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Crabs are always cooked live, anyway pretty soon it will be worldcup and another heated debate ... :)

I ask questions just to get an understanding of what you expect, everyone has different requirements , subjectively you opinion cannot be wrong , we can only agree or disagree .

Many amplifiers sound good and are not Class-A , so subjectively there is no hard or fast rule .
I had asked the question regarding Class-A because some of them have sounded that way to me also. Very smooth, but dark with no energy, yet others have sounded fantastic ! I had never attributed it to being Class-A, so i was interested in hearing your comments on such.

Where is best for listening Audio/Live Music in Brazil, Rio or Sao Paulo? I know they had a high end Hi -FI show in Rio last year. My family friends are from around Puerto Alegre.

I find this video about audio entertaining, best to view when you start to take things 2 serious ...:D

YouTube - Greek Audiophile

Electricity is 50 %

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.