Where do we most often fall short with amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Re: Keeping your OPampTIONS open.......

Fred Dieckmann said:
I have never seen a Class B stage in any op amp and for most typical loads in a preamp they are class A or class AB.

wouldn't that depend on how you define those classes? To me, a class B is a circuitry that conducts 180 degrees, and class C <180 degrees. Class AB to me is one that is originally class A for small signals but gets pushed into class B under load.

So from that perspective, pretty much all op amps have a class B stage.

traderbam said:

How about power op-amps? What level of performance is state of the art these days?

Well, the whole "Chip amps" section is full of it...

I use OPA548, most people use LM3886. The LM3886 was used in the $$$ 47Labs "Gaincard" amp and I hear that this one is also used in some high class SS (either Krell or Levinson) equipment.

Power wise the chips go up to 50 Watts (3886, a bit less for 548) into 8 Ohms, performance wise many people rave about them though many implementation philosophies exist - and are being fought over :goodbad: . Very low DC offset. Proper bypassing and excellent PSU are very important of course, when done properly stability seems to be very good although I had my issues with PSU wiring. Never drive them into clipping ;) . Sound better with higher Z loads (e.g. driving woofers in series rather than parallel for 16 Ohms rather than 4). Distortion figures from datasheets are around 0.01% at 1 kHz at 20W output. Open loop gains around 40 dB at 20 kHz. Slew rate around 10 v/us. Overshoot starting at 2 nF load capacitance.

Of course these are all wicked data sheet data :mafioso:

Since the power is somehow limited they make most sense in biamped systems. I use them in biamped dipoles after the EQ section. To me they are great and beat my previous Rotel. But I can't make any fair comparisons because the system is so customized and partly hard wired that I can't easily throw in a standard amp for comparison.

Anecdotally - I used one OPA548 to drive gheadphones in Mono . This was just a test to see if it's working. PSU was the main 375VA (unregulated) supply with 22,000 uF caps. Oh so sweet the sound! Much sweeter than my OPA2134/BUF134 "regular" headphone amp.

Next day I repeat the experiment using the 12V regulated bench supply. Still OK but sounded somehow strained, and less dynamics.

Now what do I conlude - does one need a 375VA supply to drive the couple mW of my 250 Ohm headphones "properly"?? Do I need a 5 kW PSU to drive the speaker chips????

Hi ALW,
Interesting news about the 405. Do you happen to have any details about it? Perhaps we should discuss the design in a separate thread and get to the bottom of why it won a royal award for cleverness. Feedforward correction is a cunning idea...perhaps we can improve upon Quad's implementation as you imply.
BAM

The Quad patent GB1499980 ceased a while back

CURRENT REGISTER DETAILS FOR GB1499980

Application No GB1499980

**** END OF CURRENT DETAILS ****

________________________________________________________________________________

RENEWALS DATA

Date Filed 14.01.1975

Date Not in Force 14.01.1990

Date of Last Renewal 04.01.1989

Year of Last Renewal 15

Date Next Renewal Due 14.01.1990

Status CEASED

Richard,

Thanks fo that - I can't tell you how long I spent on the patent office site trying to find that patent.

It would appear then, as it's 3 years past expiry, that no one seems greatly interested commercially, as far as I'm aware.

That makes me even more interested ;)

Andy.

It was annoying me too..

the trick came when I found a US patent for a feedforward design that referred to an earlier UK patent. That UK patent was the Quad one... Filed under "acoustical mfg ltd" :bawling:.

What I'd really like to see the patent search engine add is a "show me all the patents that cite this patent as prior art". That would be an interesting reearch tool!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.