P3A COMPARSION TABLE ( long .... ) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2010, 07:01 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default service SAE A201 and P101

here some more just finished yesterday
its the A201 and the P101 from SAE ...

the ampifier needed a 110/230 conversion new trafo 600 W fitted inside most electrolytics replaced retuned idle and working just fine ...

as an ampifier and next to my set it seemed that the amplifier had less bandwidth than my set ...low ends was kinda limmited still clea and not that punchy but seemed to be a lack at the very low stages just about the same for high i got the feeling that wasnt that clean and kind of hissy or harshy trebles

original bias seemd also low but i didnt want to play anything other than the oiginal values ... the topology outputs and configurations reminds the 555 series from Adcom only adcom was by far better

-------------------------------------

preampifier was a box full of TTL and 80 electrolytics that all refused to work ...replace them all things got a lot better ...

as a buffer and a preampifier is exeptional ( let us not forget its an 1981 design ) it seems that there is no ability to drive long cables or anything that is just a bit capacitive with this preamp

even though there a load of ttl inside to perform all button controls the unit is very quiet and the phonh stage is amazing ...( the costuemr will not run it with a phono ...still the phono stage was tested and seemed to have amazing tollerance to various heads tested i dsay that was extremelly adoptive

id say that both amp and preamp are above average and nothing too amazing

here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sae p101 a201.JPG (94.2 KB, 1654 views)
Old 8th April 2010, 07:25 PM   #12
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
i am not willing to give away at any prize anything that is original and has a tag 1302-3281 on ( i have original toshibas also ) totally i have arround 120 pairs more and i am going to use them to construct amplifiers for my own pleasure ....in the coming years i hope to live long enough to construct 100 amps ( more )
sniff

maybe you'll sell me a built amp one day?
Old 8th April 2010, 07:28 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
sniff

maybe you'll sell me a built amp one day?
sure why not !!!! you can e mail me with full data name and so on an i will include you in my will ha ha ha ha ha ....

beyond jokes ...constract one on your own you will have all my help !!!!
Old 8th April 2010, 07:38 PM   #14
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
beyond jokes ...constract one on your own you will have all my help !!!!
ygpm.
Old 27th April 2010, 10:24 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default a P3A for my son's bedroom ....

almost 1.5 year ago i have constructed a P3A for my wife so i wanted to see the effect of the sound while she was having the baby ... and then use the same system for the baby after it was born ...

The baby loves the sound ( i think ) so is my wife .... the problem was that the amplifier i builted was too big ...the amazing waf factor ... so i was asked to bulit some other version probably less power but for sure less size

here we go ..there some pictures of my new built ... but i have a small issue ...
that is a standard built uses original 1302+3281 in the out ,100pf silvermica for miller VAS and then 100 pf multileyer for the down driver ...other than that everything else is as seen on schematic

i ve been building in the past mostly with bd 139-140 and mJ15030-31 families

this time i used bd 829-830 i had some of them available and willing to try

i wasnt expecting a noticable diference but even though the bias is quiet low since size of the box and heatsink i didnt want to create high temperature inside still it plays by far better than the 139-140 or 15030-31

can anyone explain why ????
can any one double check this and provide an opinion ???

thanks sakis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00500.JPG (82.1 KB, 1563 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00501.JPG (138.5 KB, 1510 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00502.JPG (89.7 KB, 1464 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00503.JPG (123.8 KB, 1430 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00504.JPG (102.1 KB, 595 views)
Old 27th April 2010, 11:33 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:

this time i used bd 829-830 i had some of them available and willing to try

i wasnt expecting a noticable diference but even though the bias is quiet low since size of the box and heatsink i didnt want to create high temperature inside still it plays by far better than the 139-140 or 15030-31

can anyone explain why ????
can any one double check this and provide an opinion ???
Hi Sakis

The main difference between the BD829 and BD139/MJE15030 is the fT. The BD829 has a transition frequency of typically 250MHz, as opposed to 8MHz for a BD139.

It may be the higher speed of these devices which accounts for the sound difference. In what way would you say they sound better?

Regards,
Steve
Old 27th April 2010, 12:02 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

well as i describe my approach for this amplifier and some time compared with the DX amplifier which i find very accurate and very precise my amplifier is a bit endy ....means that will represent with problems any signal at the ends ...low and high

now if you see the one that is made with BD139 series and the other was made with BD829-830 seems that everything is more bass is even more rich midle is more perfect but most of all seems that high are by far more clean and have a class A sweetness ...tybe style sound

the previous version i was listening to was biassed at 120 ma per board now this one is biassed almost to 1/4 of this bias and still plays better ...

i have to investigate this farther ...it seems that these driver rock !!!!

( hei do you like my enclosure ??? )
Old 27th April 2010, 01:50 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Sakis,

That's an attractive case and I especially like the texture of the front panel

Have you tried comparing your amplifiers' performance with an oscilloscope - possibly by examining the step response?

Regards,

Steve
Old 27th April 2010, 01:59 PM   #19
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Hey Sakis, thats interesting, any chance you will show a schematic
Old 27th April 2010, 02:47 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

will make farther testings ... but you knoe since schematic pcb and all that has been tested a million times mostly i check for offset idle and off we go ...

will do though

tinitus ...the thread is called the P3A comparsion table ....

Hide this!Advertise here!