P3A Comparison table ( long .... ) - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2010, 07:25 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Default Service kenwood ka 50

just another comercial product with nothing realy special to talk about ...

yet again the same story ... all caps replaced all switches and pots cleaned nothing to tune in the amplifier japanese designer of these and previous "brown" models of kenwood was so sure about the parts that VBE is runing from a standard resistor and no trimmer

often depenting o the costumer and the use of the product i replace those with a trimmer in order to beef the bias up to so persentage to gain bitsof quality ...

even though musical and quiet amplifier ... still is a lower than average design of the 80s at least compairing to now days machines

remains both negative and positive that all this kenwood family uses a passive tone control that uses signal from the outpout to operate ....positive since with a proper and easy speaker can produce nice sonics and negative since long cables and strange loads will almost make it unstable

reagards sakis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KENWOOD KA 50.JPG (97.6 KB, 937 views)
Old 6th May 2010, 07:34 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

Default Service alesis ra 500

ALESIS RA 500...

dont really know if this is real alesis product or some other factory that have some arangement with Alesis

cheap small amplifier ( size and power ) sound is quiet good for a classic efp /Vi limmiter design .... amplifier is very balanced nothing is too much or too litle ...Vi limmiter works properly for this type of application ...it kills sonics ...but at least it does it carefully

the abilty to drive low loads is very lilte
cooling is done with external heat sinks only ..bearly enough
pcbs inside are boiling if stressed
generally a marginal design ...
capacitance is fairly low for this amp ....

at least it has a brand name and a low prize

thermal stress produce soldering issues ...resistors driver and protector was blown replaced and go ...
Attached Images
File Type: gif alesis-ra-500.gif (6.9 KB, 914 views)
Old 6th May 2010, 07:37 PM   #43
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Designing my own PCB, can I do business on P3A? Like making complete systems and sell?
Old 6th May 2010, 07:55 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

i dont see the reason to ask me ...i am not the desiger of the P3A .... you may ask the designer directly for that
www.sound.westhost.com
Old 6th May 2010, 08:59 PM   #45
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
ALESIS RA 500...

dont really know if this is real alesis product or some other factory that have some arangement with Alesis
You may be interested to know Sakis that this amp is same as Behringer EP500, must be same Chinese factory makes them and different case and badging.

Thank you for the description as it is useful to know. I know a lot of people who think the EP500 is some kind of wonder amp, but you have revealed it's true colours and some that I suspected for a long time.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:01 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Default Ahahaha!... Sakis is nervous today..smashing some amplifiers

Greek warrior is ready for combat.

heheheheh.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sakis is nervous today.jpg (160.3 KB, 902 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 6th May 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 6th May 2010, 09:20 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
You may be interested to know Sakis that this amp is same as Behringer EP500, must be same Chinese factory makes them and different case and badging.

Thank you for the description as it is useful to know. I know a lot of people who think the EP500 is some kind of wonder amp, but you have revealed it's true colours and some that I suspected for a long time.

thanks richie00boy.... compaired that i have repaired almost 600 amps the latest 5 years and only one ( 1) behringer i wouldnt know ... but i will look in to it since i am not really sure for it

thanks though
Old 7th May 2010, 03:25 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post

your comment about a500 from behringer and RA 500 from alesis made me do a litle searching richie00boy and after i got a schematic for both and inside pictures of both i can guarantee you that are not only two absolutelly diferent products but also that behringer is by far better

alesis features normal trafo- behringer is torodial
alesis features 2X10.000 mfd for the all amplifier one bridge and powersupply
behringer features 2x10.000 mfd +seperated rectifier per board
behringer features 2 leyer pxb while alesis features piggy boards to fit everything in a 3U short box
behringer uses 2U box that is more dee than alesis

true the front side is probably made by the same designer

regards sakis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a500%20internal1.jpg (7.2 KB, 1097 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00007.JPG (90.8 KB, 883 views)

Last edited by east electronics; 7th May 2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 13th May 2010, 05:52 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

Default Service A.C Magnum Class A

i am not in tha Class A thingy ...i am just a classic 2SA1302 class AB person ...but bussines is bussines and i have to repair that also from time to time as we speak my first krell is on the way ....

ok doki the machine comes in with a number of problems but most that the amplifier shut down out of the blue for no reason and as the costumer said it just happend after the amplifier has been upgraded from another technician ....

striping down the litle brit is not an easy task since to be able to have acces down under you need to unscrew everything and that of course means that you need to redo all the mechano work replace or alline insulators whixh happens to be plenty ...

To make long story shorter the amplifier has been upgraded by some tech guy that replace the cables from the pcb to the binding post ( about 20 cm ) from the original cable with VDH cables and beefed the idle enough to boil all the solderings inside the amplifier

Results local regulators for the first stage of the amplifier totaly disoldered and afew resistors boiled but other than that no other problems

after that discovered some factory mistake ...in chanel A source resistors was 0.33R while in the other channel it was 0.22r

replaced the broken , did the soldering and the mechano and then bias the amplifier to something more earthy and listen to it ....

terrible expirience .... the sound was "mufled " treble was confusing midle was perfect , bass, sound stage and depth was simply upsent ...just wasnt there ...the amplifier had a terrible low end and seemed to me that was working with some compressor behind it

i simply didnt bother to look why costumer was more than happy and that was the end of story ...if anybody bothers to ask if i find the sound of a P3A better i will answer +10.000 times better by far

here is some pictures of the litle cr@@p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00010.JPG (125.8 KB, 855 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00011.JPG (71.5 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00012.JPG (96.3 KB, 281 views)
Old 13th May 2010, 06:03 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default service Luxman LV 110

nice simple luxman come in to the shop for service a classic story ...no damages ...all caps to be replaced... a bit if mechano since all was dryied up arround the transitors ... tune the idle and good to go

a bit of cleaning here and there and other than that absolutelly nothing else...

I have seen wonderfull production luxman thatsounded superior but this one wasnt one of them .... low power , but better ends ( even better from my previous post ) the amplifier had plent of high and a nice pre amp but wasnt clean enough ...

expected from the prize tag of this model ... i think that it was a cheapy

on the negative i will say that there is no real protection and luxman in order to avoid power on off noises switches the speakers on off with the same switch that powers on of the all machine ...very cheap i think

on the other hand a bellow average amplifier can serve a kitchen system ...

here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luxman lv 110.JPG (93.9 KB, 332 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!