P3A Comparison table ( long .... ) - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 06:29 PM   #171
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
well here is one amplifier that can be stand up very very properly next to the combo doz -P3A

Just a reminder the P3a is the one i make and the DOZ eventhough circuit is typically as seen in the ESP pages pcb , decoupling , distribution of power ground and signal is far more sophisticated .

Ladies and gents i think that the electrocompaniet EC2 sounds alike the P3a +doz after it has been repaired ,recaped , and slightly ( but very slightly modified )

bass is plenty tight and fast , quiet punchy for a class A thing ( Actually highly biased class AB ) there is speed ....air... sound stage ....Upfront and crystal clear middle while high is extremely clean , crisp and detailed .

i am amazed... i think i will be listening far more detail listening from this amplifier before i give it away to the costumer .

kind regards
sakis
Where are the usual pics ???
Old 29th October 2012, 06:34 PM   #172
diyAudio Member

I apologize ...Please give me 30 minutes .

Kind regards
sakis
Old 29th October 2012, 07:39 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Sorry for that ..i was actually busy writing down a tribute for the EC2 in a Greek forum ..

Except that the EC2 is a lower in power next to a P3A other than that there is absolutely nothing in the minus side for this machine .

Yet again the input selector formed with relays but not a shunt topology so crosstalk between sources is some issue But next to so nice sound ...just switch off the source that doesnt play .

Clever to have a relay to select between a 6db pre and a passive configuration so you have a very flexible amplifier ...

I wonder if someone performs this schematic made as a dual mono without the pre and with a huge power supply and a better even more audiophile approach on the implementation of the same circuit ...

I think i will try to study this equipment a bit more

Kind regards
sakis
Old 24th January 2013, 04:59 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Sakis,

I intend to pair DOZ preamp and P3A in the same box as integrated amp. Can you comment the sound of this combination? Is it better than using op-amp based preamp? I like speed, detail and clarity above all. Can DOZ+P3A deliver that?
Old 24th January 2013, 05:15 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Its a very good idea and its my current system for every day listening . Keep in mind that DOZ will operate far far better with an audiophile power supply ...

mind the wiring though but yes its a very good idea
Old 25th January 2013, 06:17 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

Sakis,

Concerning your DOZ preamp:

1. Is the volume pot at input or at output?
2. How strong is DOZ turn on and/or turn off noise?
Old 25th January 2013, 06:33 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

1)I run my set with the volume pot In the input of the DOZ
This aspect though is because my everyday listening 6-12hours per day is with near field monitors an in low power so yes id like my DOZ directly coupled with my P3a and benefit from a few dynamics in low power more .
2) when potentiometer is used in the input so the output of the DOZ will produce a quiet big thump at start up ...in my case this is not a problem since the configuration is a preamplifier and a separated amplifier which i power one behind the other manuly with a bit of delay to avoid the thump .

In an normal situation and in your configuration( integrated amplifier) a pot wired between the output of DOZ and the input of the P3A will produce no thump as long as the volume pot is at 0 at power up

Finally as long as you produce an integrated amplifier you may as well not instal an input capacitor in the input of the P3A and as long that this one already exists in the output of the DOZ .

Pictures of your work is welcome here and also it could be nice to make tests on the DOZ regarding power supply and post your findings here or in the forum for other people to see and learn from .

Kind regards
sakis
Old 25th January 2013, 07:23 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

I also prefer low level listening so this is a dilemma for me: either to make gain in DOZ lower (6dB perhaps) or to put a pot at the input. If I use pot between DOZ an P3A it is probably wiser to retain caps at output of DOZ to prevent any possibility of DC to the pot (and nasty noise it produces) and remove input cap from P3A.

If I put a pot at the input, the problem of turn on and off noise shall be solved as it is done in Cyrus series I and II: I shall use small transformer for preamp directly connected to mains, so when mains cable is connected preamp will be immediately on. Power switch shall be used only for big transformer for P3A so power amp section will be turned on with it after turn on noise of DOZ has passed. Only if there is electricity blackout turn off noise is possible.

I shall make pictures when it is done and post it here on the forum.
Old 25th January 2013, 07:29 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

or use a delay +protection relay in the output
By the same logic you may as well use a similar circuit to shunt the input of P3A to ground on start up ...high quality audio grade probably reed relay will do no harm i think sound wise ..

Let us know
Kind regards
sakis
Old 11th March 2013, 04:06 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

here is another one ...

Nice idea could be ( for tone control lovers ) to add a tone control in the P3A designed geriatric style IE nested in the feedback chain ...

In the past this was very common but include the danger that the load will modulate vas through the feedback and with bad results in capacitive loads or long cables and so on .

It will probably also require some small increase of gain ...still if done with proper parts and calculations i think that it will produce nice sonics

Hide this!Advertise here!