P3A Comparison table ( long .... ) - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2011, 04:19 PM   #131
diyAudio Member

could be ... but i already i have about 100 ltp pairs closelly matched ...so getting new ones and match that closly is a boring job to do ...

( ha ha ha also my employes will know that i work on an new toy and will start teasing on me ) !!!!!
Old 16th June 2011, 01:01 PM   #132
diyAudio Member

we are discussing the idea between friends and one ringed a bell from me that this was the classic japanese topology IE only two transistors in rails of 50-60 volts some times but always together with VI limiters

so one may benefit from the higher rail voltage skip the VI limmiter and be carefull with the amp ...

lets see ...we have to wait a bit since politics in my country as we speak is more or less a tomatosoup but also i am waiting for my newst sassi
Old 16th June 2011, 08:32 PM   #133
diyAudio Member

oki doki .... Bc 546 is 65volt transistor lets see how hot might be at 50+50 volt rails

kind regards sakis
Old 16th June 2011, 09:48 PM   #134
ATAUDIO is offline ATAUDIO  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
oki doki .... Bc 546 is 65volt transistor lets see how hot might be at 50+50 volt rails

kind regards sakis
I believe the problem can be that you are not guaranteed that Vce in the LTP will be limited to the single rail voltage (i.e. it could be more than 50v), especially with large signal transients.
I see it very risky. There are a lot of better transistors than the (good) BC546 for such voltages. I hate the burnt silicon smell.....
BTW can you measure Vce (static) on the LTPs and on the CCS with a standard 42 V rails P3A?
Old 16th June 2011, 10:07 PM   #135
diyAudio Member

yeap ...will do and let you know
Old 16th June 2011, 10:58 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

ok ..one version is sitting on my bench and rails are 38.5+38.5.... in this situation Vce (static) is 39.5 volts CCS is 37 ...

marginal i think .... will see
Old 17th June 2011, 09:40 AM   #137
diyAudio Member

there is an old saying in my country when someone trying to "milk a mosquito "

last night ( very night ) i thought about opening a dual mono P3A that exist in the shop almost 3years now the duty is to operate 10-15 hours a day providing casul background music for the shop.

Idea was first to take a look of any obvious faults after so many hours of operation ...task completed with no obvious problems and then was to repalce the all pavjkadge of drivers since this one was made with 139-140 combo ...

BD 829- 830 as drivers MJE15033 as VAS and all went fine

obviously there was diference slight as usual better high tighter and punchy bass while midle remains the same clean .... some marginal improvment was also a better kick generally

Still .... i think that we are talking of "a litle bit here and a litle bit there" ... so now the mosquito is milked ....
Old 17th June 2011, 09:55 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

Sakis, any chance you can test different output transistors?
So far I can say that the Onsemi MJL21193/94's are warmer sounding than the Fairchild 2SC5200.
Old 17th June 2011, 10:07 AM   #139
diyAudio Member

I will verify that stress test that i ve made in the fiarchild transistors prove to be extremely relaible ( next to many ) but on the other hand sound kinda muffled in high frequencies next to the 3281 1302 combo ...

None of the amps i ve made ( that will include other stuff like the lynx the DX quasi the hameleon and so on included 21193/4 so actually i have zero expirience with them )
Old 28th June 2011, 11:44 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

not very often i have the ability to test two identical amplifiers with minor changes so i am able to make A-B tests ...

Produced two identical amplifiers to be used in a friends dinner driving 4 speakers each 4 1/2" 2way monitors for background music in the dinner

one amplifier featured Toshiba 2SA1943- 2sc 5200 and the other amplifier used the sanken 3263 1294 ...

The sanken i know since are originall Yamaha replacement parts that are really original and best of quality ...

The Toshibas i cannot tell eventhough i performed many stress tests on them i think that these are fakes but of a better quality ....

Bottom line is that the sanken play b far better .... dont no wh but seems that the toshibas are kinda muffled in the high frequencies ...

Idle and pcb is the same drivers and vas is BD139-140 family

Kind regards sakis

Hide this!Advertise here!