"Emotiva" brand amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th April 2010, 07:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default "Emotiva" brand amps

Has anyone here had a look at the design of Emotiva brand of preamps, pwr.amps, and multichannel stuff?
However, internet photos of the internals looks nice, but I'll step aside for others to say.
Published specs per dollars per watt seem unusually good for the PERHAPS uninlightened purchaser.
Old 8th April 2010, 01:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Stormrider Send a message via MSN to Stormrider
I remember reading a caption somewhere on their website that they used triple EF output stages and maybe dual diff input stages, with MJL21193/94 outputs. That could have just been the XPA amps. The transformer is undersized for the XPA5. It's kind of hard to get 5x300W/4R out of a 1200VA transformer ... assuming teh spec sheet is right.
Old 8th April 2010, 02:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi stormrider:

As I had mentioned in a previous post:
I am looking to buy a integrated SS amp about 1,000. dollars.
At first, I began to look at Audiogon, although there are probably many good used ones, I can't evaluate these units as many of the forum members here can.
Plus, being used, most are not auditionable for return.
As used, I had asked (here) about life expectancy under normal conditions versus years of service, but that might be difficult to assertain without seeing first hand.
I do realize that if a well designed unit were considered and its condition were good, the advantage would be a good price.
So I thought, there are a lot of builders here, as well, small companies that
sell completed units with perhaps a better design over-all.
I read through all of the Aspen AKSA FAQ and being a novice with regard to design, that designer seems to know alot, although some may debate his theories. He doesn't offer inexpensive pre-builts as far as I know.
I can not try building at this time.
One unit that interests me is up for sale at Audiogon. it is about 4 to 5 years old, low useage:
BV Audio A300se integrated about 700 dollars.
Anyway, I would like some recommendations about companies advertized here and what there stong points are.
Also, I took a look at Motiva, its new and warranted, but seems to offer a lot for price. It could be that chineeses made units (some) might be very good.
Old 8th April 2010, 04:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You appear to be getting a lot for your money with the Emotiva stuff.

Even if you weren't entirely happy with the final product itself, you've still got a lot of amplifier to play around with.

For example the XPA-2. You're getting a nice looking chassis, two large heatsinks in an easy to use shape. A large transformer and a decent amount of smoothing caps. A lot of output transistors and all the input and output connectors.

Those alone, if purchased individually probably wouldn't be too far away in price to the cost of the amplifier.

All of those parts could easily be re-used in another design, provided you were after a similar kind of product. IE another class AB amp of similar output power.
Old 8th April 2010, 07:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sounds like the Emotiva would fit want you want. And, AFAIK, you can return it if you decide you dislike it. The XPA2 seems well built.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Linls to Reviews

Here are links to a couple of reviews

Emotiva XPA-1 Monoblock Power Amplifier Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Emotiva XPA-2 Stereo Power Amplifier Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Doug
Old 8th April 2010, 08:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
I remember reading a caption somewhere on their website that they used triple EF output stages and maybe dual diff input stages, with MJL21193/94 outputs. That could have just been the XPA amps. The transformer is undersized for the XPA5. It's kind of hard to get 5x300W/4R out of a 1200VA transformer ... assuming teh spec sheet is right.
Dont forget that the 300watts are peak and the transformer VA is RMS.
This means the transformer will allow 1800VA peak through it.
Of course a bit will be lost in heat in the heatsink.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:27 PM   #8
rob1996 is offline rob1996  United States
diyAudio Member

I have only good things to say about Emo products. Well worth the money. The XPA series amps produce the power they are rated at easily. The XPA's give a clean and transparent sound with decent headroom. Build quality is top notch and customer serves is second to non.
Old 8th April 2010, 09:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Dont forget that the 300watts are peak and the transformer VA is RMS.
This means the transformer will allow 1800VA peak through it.
Of course a bit will be lost in heat in the heatsink.
No. 300W is the quoted RMS power into 4 ohms. Which means that it should be capable of putting out 300W x5 channels into 4 ohm loads for a specified length of time. This isn't possible with a 1200VA transformer except for extremely short lengths of time, tiny bursts.
Old 8th April 2010, 10:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1996 View Post
I have only good things to say about Emo products. Well worth the money. The XPA series amps produce the power they are rated at easily. The XPA's give a clean and transparent sound with decent headroom. Build quality is top notch and customer serves is second to non.
rob1966:
Apart from the sonic quality, which I understand that if I don't like it, I return it.
However, my interest is in component choice/quality/layout as it applies to long-term stability?
Do you have first hand experience with the units?
Are you knowledgeable enough to be able to judge the build? I submit this respectfully.

Hide this!Advertise here!