about "1000W" car amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Kevin,

I can dig your frusteration man, but Yes, you can get a 1Kw car amp. I have one, an old one from Lanzar. The power supply caps are rated at 63 volts. I assume at least 55V PS. The HS is 18 in long and 10 in. wide and 3 in. tall. Of course it is hollow for the electronics. It has 12 outputs per channel and 6 IRFZ44 fets per leg. According to Lanzar, it puts out 506WRMS per channel into 4 ohms. Model number is 600-S. No bridge mode....... It weighs about 9 pounds and is a beast. You would need a 100A battery charger that is well regulated and filtered, to use it for home use though. Also, people who put such amps in their trucks use many 1 farad booster caps plus a very high output alternator and the serious ones put an additional battery or even two, to give the proper power they need. Not worth it, to me, for 120db of power that I can't use while in my car!

DJ,

Damn it man!
I told you in past posts to ignore any other power spec than true RMS power. R M S power..... Understand? Anything else is junk. Also, a big powered amp will always be large in size and weight but most of all, you will need a large wallet too! You aren't going to buy a 1000W amp for $200.00 unless it is either blown or stolen, or someone needs drug money. A new amp will be at least $800.00, and that's a cheap one.

I really don't know what you are trying to do but good luck, whatever it is..............

Chris

thylantyr said:
In car audio, where you have monster car woofers rated
at a 1 - 2 kilowatt, people do connect their woofers
to the AC mains just to check it out.. it works with
no problems.

:nod:

Yeah, I know... or in car audio where people have subs that are rubbish, they plug them into the mains just to watch them burn... lol

A certain mad scientist

of a speaker manufacture which bore his name, who long long ago traded its soul for money, he was known to plug his drivers into the wall. Perhaps just urban legend, he supposidly plugged one into the wall... in a hotel room next to an elevator shaft in a hotel at CES. Pocketed the key and walked away.

Ran for hours until found, or at least goes the legend. Having played with the driver in question (a pro pa driver) I have no doubt that it would have not noticed. It had no difficulty running in the Florida sun being driven to clipping by the big Crowns so a mains connection in a chilled hotel room would be play time.

<sub> documented proof of the legend would be wonderful if anyone has any.. </sub>

Gee, Mr. Science!

Hmmm....the stuff urban legends are made of...

Am I correct in assuming that an 8-ohm driver would be dissipating 1,800 watts (assuming 120v)? Well, one would have to double that to 3,600 with a 4-ohm coil....

Sounds like that speaker voice coil was made of "unobtanium" if it could handle that kind of dissipation.

I better break out the waders, 'cause it's getting pretty deep in here!

Bob

Re: Gee, Mr. Science!

Neutron Bob said:
Hmmm....the stuff urban legends are made of...

Am I correct in assuming that an 8-ohm driver would be dissipating 1,800 watts (assuming 120v)? Well, one would have to double that to 3,600 with a 4-ohm coil....

Sounds like that speaker voice coil was made of "unobtanium" if it could handle that kind of dissipation.

I better break out the waders, 'cause it's getting pretty deep in here!

Bob

Ask yourself..

What is the impedance at 60hz,
and is it ported or sealed box ?
then recalculate your power figures.

/hehe

:rolleyes:
You must know nothing about car audio...there are many subwoofers that can handle 120V mains for several minutes.
The best sounding/ best overall woofer I have heard/can think of is the DD 9515...and they make even bigger but I have not heard them in person. Check out www.ddaudio.com for yourself...and trust me, they can take the power and their ratings are for real.
Shockers are also beefy boys, the Signature series weighs 71lb for a Sig 15....Tell me that doesn't mean power. I know the weight doesn't tell the whole story but they can be plugged into the wall all day and not break a sweat.:cool:

Also, I own a DD 9015...which is a 15 inch, 1000W music power handling woofer, and it is playing on 400W and barely moving. The suspension is so stiff on them it almost feels like they are seized up because they are made for HIGH power.
I am pretty sure they have multiple spiders on all models...dual or triple spiders...

thylantyr said:
In car audio, where you have monster car woofers rated
at a 1 - 2 kilowatt, people do connect their woofers
to the AC mains just to check it out.. it works with
no problems.

:nod:

It might be worthwhile mentioning that when you guys are talking mains here it is 110-120 VAC at 60 Hz and not 220-240 VAC at 50 Hz as in large parts of the world. There is a slight difference in power input to the woofer...disregarding the lethal aspects.

240 VAC -> 240*240/2/8 = 3600 W into 8 Ohms and 7200 W into 4 Ohms. Your fuse will blow pretty quickly but for while there will be a fairly loud sound coming from your woofer and then there will probably be more smelly sensations.

UrSv said:

It might be worthwhile mentioning that when you guys are talking mains here it is 110-120 VAC at 60 Hz and not 220-240 VAC at 50 Hz as in large parts of the world. There is a slight difference in power input to the woofer...disregarding the lethal aspects.

240 VAC -> 240*240/2/8 = 3600 W into 8 Ohms and 7200 W into 4 Ohms. Your fuse will blow pretty quickly but for while there will be a fairly loud sound coming from your woofer and then there will probably be more smelly sensations.

Actually, there's no /2 in those power calculations
:) 7200W into 8 ohms and 14400W into 4...

asauer said:
Also, I own a DD 9015...which is a 15 inch, 1000W music power handling woofer, and it is playing on 400W and barely moving. The suspension is so stiff on them it almost feels like they are seized up because they are made for HIGH power.
I am pretty sure they have multiple spiders on all models...dual or triple spiders...

If its stiff, it means its inefficient, which means it need alot of power to get loud... The Brahma series, from 10inch to 15 inch are all rated at 1600watts RMS, 4800watts music power.....

megajocke said:

Actually, there's no /2 in those power calculations
:) 7200W into 8 ohms and 14400W into 4...

Umm.... 15inch Tumult might take that... :D lol no, wait, thats only 3.2ohms... lol umm.. maybe not.. :S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.