STK3062IV substitute

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marantz PM50 (Which STK?)

Hi Guys
I'm not sure if this thread is still valid but I'll post anyway..I bought a second hand Marantz PM50 with a crackle in the left channel which I traced back to the STK3062-lV, anyway to cut a long story short I replaced it with a STK3062-lll since the series lV seem to be hard to get hold of...This fixed the problem but the unit has a mains hum in both channels, heard at low volume and I suspect the ic has developed a problem..Data sheets for the version lV seem impossible to find, but from what I gather the STK3062-lll isn't suitable for the supply voltage of the PM50...I'm quite happy to fit a STK3082-lll but are there any mods required, i.e, external caps and resistors?
Thanks in advance
Richard in Oz

Used to have lots of problems with those IC-s (3062-3082 any suffix). In most amps they run VERY hot, I mean you can barely touch them, no wonder sooner or later they develop contact problems (they are hybrid IC-s assembled on a ceramic PCB). Any time I've replaced them, I glued a heatsink on the back (alu plate) of them -usually small multi-finned ones cannibalized from old PC-s- that keeps them running at reasonable temperatures, letting them live longer.

Suitable replacement

Used to have lots of problems with those IC-s (3062-3082 any suffix). In most amps they run VERY hot, I mean you can barely touch them, no wonder sooner or later they develop contact problems (they are hybrid IC-s assembled on a ceramic PCB). Any time I've replaced them, I glued a heatsink on the back (alu plate) of them -usually small multi-finned ones cannibalized from old PC-s- that keeps them running at reasonable temperatures, letting them live longer.

Thanks dragonweed, I'll heed your advice once I lay my hands on a suitable replacement.

I was wrong on the use of a STK3062-lll as a substitute for a ver.lV..It would seem that the cause of my hum was due to me not having fitted the 4 x screws grounding the speaker terminal outlets to the case...After setting the idle current for each channel, all sounds fine apart from an occasional thunk on switch on...Speaker 1 + 2 switches on the front work ok to power the speaker relays, but I feel sure that on initial power up, that there should be a small delay before getting audio...I changed the TA7317P at the same time as changing the STK3062, but I threw the original away, so I can't try it..All resistors and capacitors check out ok..Despite being ultra careful using my rubber ball solder sucker, the print still managed to lift. :h_ache:

Faulty TA7317P

I was wrong on the use of a STK3062-lll as a substitute for a ver.lV..It would seem that the cause of my hum was due to me not having fitted the 4 x screws grounding the speaker terminal outlets to the case...After setting the idle current for each channel, all sounds fine apart from an occasional thunk on switch on...Speaker 1 + 2 switches on the front work ok to power the speaker relays, but I feel sure that on initial power up, that there should be a small delay before getting audio...I changed the TA7317P at the same time as changing the STK3062, but I threw the original away, so I can't try it..All resistors and capacitors check out ok..Despite being ultra careful using my rubber ball solder sucker, the print still managed to lift. :h_ache:

I finally fixed it!..I located the original TA7317P and all is now fixed and voltages are all correct. It would seem that the new replacement TA7317P (I only replaced it as a precaution) was working in reverse with a delayed switch off and instantaneous switch on, strange as it sounds (Hence the big thunk on switch on). Now time to get out the band-aid's for a couple of cuts from the sharp edges of these chassis. :mad:
I feel like the Marantz and I are now blood brothers. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.