Arcam Alpha 3 Int. Amp. what caused this!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I bought this off ebay 'untested'. Looked great untill I took the lid off!
please see photo; before I just replace them, what could have caused these resistors to become charcoal?

Attachments

• Picture 226.jpg
    Picture 226.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 252
Hi,
This damage can only be due to massive overpowering.

It is very likely some other components are damaged as well.
Semi conductors blow first to protect fuses is a humorous way of saying the semiconductors do not tolerate overload very well.
Resistors tolerate overload a lot better than fuses.

I suspect that link has been added to bypass a burnt out trace. That would high current indeed.

The mod on R24/R124 is an official factory mod to reduce turn-on thump.

The wire from R127 to R206 does seem like it's a replacement for a damaged +V trace. R206/202/203 provide power to the LED.

I would say there is a lot of damage here. If i had to take a guess, the output transistors and VAS failed, and the VI limiter blew the resistors up. Fortunately, the parts in this amp are very cheap. The most tricky parts are the FST239/240 transistors - these were replaced by ZTX653/753 IIRC.

If you are very keen on repairing this amp I would replace all of the power amp transistors. Rapid stock all of the transistors used.

I've uploaded the service manual here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.