500W PA amplifier with Limiter

Do not powering up without heatsink, drivers transistor work in class A.
Don't forget wire jumper on coper side pcb.
Don't forget to connect input GND.
Use 150R 20W on primar ac transformer.
U can use 100R instead fuses, I don't, but I made 1600 amplifiers still now.
Check DC offset before connect speakers, use 100uF bipolar if U want test amplifier without protect.
Good luck!
Regards
this is my heat sink
can i use step down transformer in testing since i don't have a variac
220v is our mains here i'm planning to step down to 110v,is this a good idea?
how about light bulb which is better to put in primary or in secondary?

Attachments

• DSC03767[1].JPG
    DSC03767[1].JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 5,562
If you use a light bulb limiter, you don't need to step it down first or use any DC protect. The light bulb is actually better than a variac. A lot of amplifiers will work perfectly at lower voltage and get unstable at full voltage. With a variac turned down it may behave, and then go bang very suddenly as it is brought up. The light bulb will let the amp get to 90% of normal voltage when it's idling, and bring it down automatically if it goes unstable.

If you use a light bulb limiter, you don't need to step it down first or use any DC protect. The light bulb is actually better than a variac. A lot of amplifiers will work perfectly at lower voltage and get unstable at full voltage. With a variac turned down it may behave, and then go bang very suddenly as it is brought up. The light bulb will let the amp get to 90% of normal voltage when it's idling, and bring it down automatically if it goes unstable.
I agree, but I don't use bulb, and can't suggest without my expirience. What will be bulb specify?

Last edited:
Bulb have positive temperature coefficient (PTC). When bulb is cold it have small resistance, when current rising bulb get hot and resistance is R=U2/P. U=220v, P=100w and R=484R when bulb bright, that resistance will drop voltage on primary and protect amplifier if something is wrong.
Resistance of 150R will drop voltage on primary if current rising. Voltage on primary will be U=220v-150RxI(A), voltage drop will protect amplifier is something was wrong also like bulb.

PA Protect Schematic

PA Protect include:
1 Anticlick 5sec delay
2 DC cut-out
3 Thermal cut-out on 90deg
4 Fan high speed on 60deg
5 Over current protect (power-on reset)

Conectors:
1 2x18V 500mA AC
2 +/-15V DC stab for XLR circuit
3 PRO overcurrent detect
4 Protect LED