500W PA amplifier with Limiter

DC Protect

I not recomanded use amplifier without protect. This DC protect with triac is minimum for safe operation. Better is use same protect like H900 with thermal, DC and overload cut-out.
Regards

Attachments

• Triac DC Protect.jpg
    Triac DC Protect.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 7,075
i'm trying to find easy way of etching pcb
but as of now i'm still using the hard way,no software no computerized i just print the design and........then its all in my hands,
i hope i can do like the others doing it,even the tinniest lines i wish i can do that
but by the way i trully give my deepest gratitude to you
apex,
thank you very much
for sharing all this stuff

The triac connects the rails to ground after the rail fuses.
Triac connect output amplifier to ground if there is +/-35V DC offset, rail fuses blow and protect speakers of DC. If amplifier have not rail fuses then must put fuse on amplifier output before triac, and if there is main fuse for transformer it blow anyway. Peavey models 850, 1.3k and 2000 use DC protect with triac and have only main fuse, but there bridge recifer blow with fuse most the time.

I don't know what is "blameless" circuit. This circuit without global feedback based on OP amp, output stage is just ordinary emiter-follower. I have descrite input in my 100w Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier, but can't be modifited to work without global feedback.
Regards

By "blameless circuit" i mean a discrete op-amp based on Douglas Self amplifier ( Distortion In Power Amplifiers, without last output transistors, only one stage EF biased into class A). But now I am not aware of "preamplifier". I'm focused on output stage that starts from Q1 and Q2.

By "blameless circuit" i mean a discrete op-amp based on Douglas Self amplifier ( Distortion In Power Amplifiers, without last output transistors, only one stage EF biased into class A). But now I am not aware of "preamplifier". I'm focused on output stage that starts from Q1 and Q2.
You can see in my another thread mosfet output stage for hibryd amplifier, but can be drive with SS also if preamp can deliver about 100Vpp.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/164659-tube-mosfet-100w-hybrid-amplifier.html
Regards

Triac connect output amplifier to ground if there is +/-35V DC offset, rail fuses blow and protect speakers of DC.
you are recommending that we short the output devices to ground and then wait for the fuses to blow.
What if the excess DC at the output was not due to an output device failure?

Shorting the supply rails to ground eventually blows the rails fuses and causes no other damage.

you are recommending that we short the output devices to ground and then wait for the fuses to blow.
What if the excess DC at the output was not due to an output device failure?

Shorting the supply rails to ground eventually blows the rails fuses and causes no other damage.
I recomended protect with relay, but triac DC protect for speakers is better than nothing. DC offset over than +/-35v will demage speakers no metter if output devices is failure or not. This triac protect connect after you sure there is not DC on amplifier output, and then you can connect speakers. At the end Quad405 have this kind of protect.
Regards

Last edited:
....triac DC protect for speakers is better than nothing.
Agreed.
DC offset over than +/-35v will demage speakers
Agreed.

But you seem to be overlooking the significant point that locating the protection triac across the speaker terminals rather than from Supply to Ground is virtually guaranteed to damage the amplifier, particularly if the fault is with the Source equipment and not the Power Amp.

Agreed.
Agreed.

But you seem to be overlooking the significant point that locating the protection triac across the speaker terminals rather than from Supply to Ground is virtually guaranteed to damage the amplifier, particularly if the fault is with the Source equipment and not the Power Amp.
Agreed, but many diyers not used any protect,triac protect is simple to use, and in that case is better change output devices than speakers.
Regards