100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

Hi Madde,
the speaker you mention I believe is marked :
"500 watt max power" (tulisan saja)
& I don't think we need 500W amp to drive it, 200 to 300W is more realistic...
If you give it real 500W amp then I believe you will burn it out :D
(Full range in our town seems not so good, don't turn the bass knob so loud)

The speaker will be just fine with 300W amp if you not drive it until it clip :D

Usually AndrewT will give you some math, about rails, load & output power...
how many output transistor needed, etc...
So you can estimated how large the power supply, the heatsink, etc

let's waiting for Mr. AndrewT ...
he will explain to you better than me, better than most people I know here :)

Thanks Bli John, yes it's true, in our town we doesn't have many choice about speaker brand and quality :D
i'm just thinking about power consumption of speaker and ability (better user more or less than true watt specification of speaker). if we give more, we can push to the limit ability of speaker, and if we give less than max watt, we only listen max of power used to drive the speaker. sorry for OOT :D

It is my point of view that speaker's power should be greater than amp's power.

My reasons are that,

1. It will give your amp a headroom for its power, the speaker will not saturate and not distort the sound.
2. If amp is driven at full power/volume, the speaker can handle it without worry of damage.

If amp's power is greater than the speaker's, the reverse of the above are true. Although you can still use a set up like this, but be mindful to set the volume of the amp to the speaker's ability to handle the power. :)

Thanks for your best answer Mr. Jaagut,
i get your point of your answer, and will be used for decide next project.

BR// Madde

AX17

Attachments

• 1606248_10202657725871907_1301007675_o.jpg
    1606248_10202657725871907_1301007675_o.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 2,352

Attachments

• F100 HITACHI.GIF
    F100 HITACHI.GIF
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,841
I think I will try It anyway. To 180deg reversing transistor can be easly cascoded for higher voltages anyway if needed.
I have made a drawing of ax14 but with cascoded j-fet front, the performance in the symulation is stunning but stability is not great in sim.
I will try to draw some layout for ax11+ amp.

You can not use current mirror with pure push-pull VAS

AX20 simulation

Here is a simulation done with ltspice for the AX20. As I'm trying to learn more on ltspice, I was curious about the AX20 and wanted to simulate it.

I embedded the models not in the ltspice default database so anyone using it should be able to run that sim with the same models.

I encountered a few discrepancies about part numbering around the output stages, so although most of the parts have the same number as on the schematic (attaching the one I used), some resistors have different numbers.

Once the simulation is able to run, I can immediately see that something can't work as it is on that schematic, as there is nothing to fix the potential on Q1's base, so I see a huge offset there at nearly 20V, so the output signal is totally offset as well and with a signal not pushing it to clipping, it does clip on the top side.

This thing is missing something to bring Q1's base to ground level...

Attachments

• AX20.asc
    14.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 4.46.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 4.46.27 PM.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 1,498
  • APEX AX20.jpg
    APEX AX20.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 1,417