Dx Blame ST - Builder's thread - post pictures, reviews and comments here please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About the resistors I put all my resistors in a special box with compartments with their values.Measured them before solder them in.And these few day's did this again and controled with color card.Chlorophile could be right this is the same I was thinking.What could happen with your amp if you are playing music at full power and then suddenly disconnect your speakers?

Hi Carlos,

thanks for the video - quite interesting.

I haven't had the time to wire the amp modules to my large 2 way speakers - perhaps in a couple of days time. Might do a head to head comparison with my current reference amp - Elliot P3A. If you do not see any comparison, that means the Blame ES has eaten the P3A up for breakfast. :p

Dear friends,

Is this a good idea ? To have the boards stacked on top of each other?
All the transistors will be sharing a single large heatsink.

Attachments

• Stacked DX Blame ES.JPG
    Stacked DX Blame ES.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 420
I had no answer about that.

I have also produced a video informing him how to proceed to check his speaker:

YouTube - Impedance measurement without special tools

regards,

Carlos

I still have to measure these B&W speakers with my Clio7 but it takes time to set up the gear.It wasn't the first time that I played at high volume with the Blame ST.These speaker are old ones build in 1980 gonna test with other speakers.I think it was a single occasion caused by a bad component I hope.

Dr. self is NOT god....

The extra resistor costs $.015 cents , does not affect sound at ALL. I have burned that same Q6 type device out on my regular blameless. I then added at least 100R (andrew says more) , it would just get hot but not blow. Luckily , I only blew fuses and did this on my "little" amp. :(
Many commercial amps with this same beta enhancer (Q6) use the resistor , ampslab.com kits have them(220R)... standard practice!!

With a larger resistor to ground (1-2K / andrew) loopgain/speed-slew changes slightly ,so might the sound .... but very little. It is not senseless or imagination .. it really does happen. :)
OS

Dr.Self in NOT god..
First the blameless amp from Self was an amp with terrile sound for Carlos, and now Dr. Self design should not be changed a bit????
I have had the same problem with Self blameless a years ago and resistor was inserted.
Do not remember the value, but about 1K.
dado

Everything running fine

My DX Blame ES has been running smoothly for 48 hours playing music through the test speakers (phase 2 testing).

Left channel offset - 0.5mV
Right channel - 15mV
Heatsink temperature after an hour of 80dB listening - 2 deg above ambient.

Some quick impressions :

Liquid smooth, rich midrange full with multi-layered textures and timbres.
Male/Female vocals to die for.
Gigantic soundstage depth and width.
Zero fatigue.
No turn on or off pops. Bravo!

What an incredible amp!!
Soon to be connected to main speakers.

Attachments

• DX Blame ES complete setup.JPG
    DX Blame ES complete setup.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 358
Oh!.... that was nice!....very nice!...good words... passionate evaluation

and i know you are good on that...you have good speakers, good musical taste..you are skilled....above the average...so..your evaluation is high level one in my point of view.

thank you very much.....have made my day...you see that we Brazilians feel good about this amplifier...my friends feel good when someone aprove it...as Brazilians like the unit very much.

Thank you Smartx21 by your kind support to our Corporation.

I would like to use this moment to suggest you, supported by the nice evaluation from Chlorophile, to build a Dx Blame amplifier.... make your own board..etch your board..use Universal boards with holes .... or anything alike...wood panel with nails (copper nails are better)..but give yourself a chance to listen a very good amplifier that i am sure will surprise you.

Uncle Charlie do not mind if you buy boards from group buy or not.... the main target is to see people happy alike Chlorophile that will enjoy each music he will play with this amplifier...he will feel the difference..it is clear and obvious...i had no criticisms...even some enemies had assembled and they HAD to agree the amplifier is good...heheheheh..maybe they were congratulating Doctor Self!:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Down, the image attached, the Corporation's dance when someone produces a nice review

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Animated_Dancing_Chicken-2.gif
    Animated_Dancing_Chicken-2.gif
    16.8 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Chlorofille, very nice job on your build. Yes, the ES is quite a lovely amplifier with very magical sounds.

I have yet to put mine in a case, they are naked but I hope to get them in a case soon. I just just too lazy to get a case going since I am too busy enjoying.

Carlos, I am assuming we can do the ES with the new boards? Thinking about going the same ES route but with more power.

Hi chlorofille!
Congrats on the DX ES!
Can I ask you-what are the transformers you are using? spec.s and make?
cheers :)

Hi doggy,

I got mine made locally at an electronics shop.
It is specified as 160W, 2X 25V dual secondary EI type transformer. I am using one transformer per channel.
Here in Malaysia we don't have toriod types. EI types have a higher magnetic radiation but I usually build mine in a larger chassis and use the heatsink as shielding to overcome that. Mechanical hum is drastically reduced by using bitumen to damp the transformer.

@carlos and smartx21 - The review was only done on a tiny pair of test speakers. I will write another one when I connect the amp to my main system which is far more revealing.

@wendell - Yes, you can build the ES on the new board. The Blame ES can only deliver 100W into 4Ohms max. As such, it is special and an entirely different amplifier in regards to the Blame ST /mkII and mkII supercharged. So if you want lovely musically moving music, go for the ES. If power is your thing, go for the supercharged =)

Mind blowing sonics..

Wendall, thats cool. The lovely gold and red boards ! I am too lazy to put them in a case too. LOL.

Here is the shootout via direct A/B - mono recording chosen.
Rod Elliot P3A and a few others vs legendary Blame ES on Vifa 3.5'' test speakers :

Background:

I have built just under 10 DIY amplifiers(class D 2050, LM3886, aussie amps Nxv200, SE Mosfet 3W etc) and heard some high end Krell amps. The Rod Elliot P3A has since replaced all my amps as none of them could resolve inner detail like it and sound lifelike. The P3A also is a champion in soundstage and 3D imaging. However this is all before the legendary Blame ES emerged...

Enter Blame ES .... This champ is more detailed than the P3A but presented music with full passion and warmth. Dynamics was fiercer, bass drives with more gusto. My Behringer EP1500 amp sounded like mud. Anyway I am lost for words. Ok, so maybe the Krell KSA 200 has slightly better bass control, but that is expected of a full current class A amp. Yet it cannot touch the Blame ES in the midrange.

Carlos - What am I going to do with all my other amps?
Back to the cabinet? :mad::headbash:

hhehee..... i am very sorry but your old amplifiers have just passed away

I do not know about you..but i cannot listen others....others are not tollerable anymore.

Make a nice funeral to the heroes that have suported long time playing loud music and your testings ...put some flowers over them and show some respect... cry some tears and understand they have fulfilled their obligations and should rest in peace..... also say "i am sorry" to them...as you will not miss them.

Related the Krell..... it can be used to keep the coffee warm to you, also can pump some bass too.

I have a double barreled shotgun... gauge is 12.... do you have one?

hehehehe:)

Dear members from the competition...if you were beated, smashed or anything alike, do not cry, build a Blameless inspired amplifier..do not waste your time...if not happy, then send your complains go to Dr. Self..... if you have something good to say..then come to Uncle Charlie.

Blameless philosophy also smashed all my amplifiers...all them buried...so.... you're not alone...this one belongs much more to Self than to me.

The picture means "the competition is scandalized"

Picture: " competition cemetery will need some expansion"

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Competition.jpg
    Competition.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 441
  • Competition's cemetery.jpg
    Competition's cemetery.jpg
    856.3 KB · Views: 435
  • Nice movie.jpg
    Nice movie.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Godlike sound...

Those are wonderfully contructed amps!

Finally after confidence level is high, the Blame ES is inserted into my main system. I don't have a suitable stepped attenuator to control volume yet so I have to use an average source with digital volume control. Noise from the amp is so low that the only sound I heard was not from the speaker, but my own blood pumping through the veins. Superb PSU design.

Source : Mede8er Full HD media player
Speakers: Scanspeak 8'' kevlar 2 ways (94dB/m)
Interconnects: DIY braided solid silver core.

Test track : Hotel California by the Eagles
Goosebumps sprout in the hundreds on the first 3 notes of the guitar.
The walls around me vanish, uplifting the soul to new heights. There is no midrange, highs or bass - only music.

Thanks again Carlos. I should have built this amp right from the start, but if I did, I wouldn't appreciate it as much as I have now. This is an amp that brings tears to the eyes, gets the foot tapping non stop and lets you feel the beauty of the music.

Special thanks to Rudi for his patience in answering my questions. I owe you some Blue Label whiskey.
Truly godlike sound...
:hohoho::happy1::cheers::cloud9::worship::wave2:

Attachments

• Blame ES main system.JPG
    Blame ES main system.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 216
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.