Dx Blame ST - Builder's thread - post pictures, reviews and comments here please. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2010, 12:39 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default SNG001 have assemble the Dx Blame ST...he said sound was good

I will look forward for a more detailed review about.

some pictures from him...modified because already posted..will make them different.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlameST-Back.jpg (597.9 KB, 1522 views)
File Type: jpg BlameST-working.jpg (492.9 KB, 1388 views)
File Type: jpg BlameST-Front.jpg (908.2 KB, 1399 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 3rd May 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:52 PM   #22
sng001 is offline sng001  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default BlameST with Zharmo's layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by zharmo View Post
Yes, I cannot guarantee my boards style too. i just build what i wanted.
Zharmo,

I am happy to inform you that your Blame-ST layout (the one with the TO-220 drivers) had been verified.

I need a mono-amplifier to power my twenty-years old Magnat speaker in my study and I don't want to spend too much money.

Looking thru my parts bin, I found that I have most of parts for BlameST. I modified Zharmo's Blame-ST layout so that I can fit the monster DC blocking capacitor (C1).

The BlameST sounds very good and it is smooth & relaxing. The amp is quiet (no hum, no hiss) and the DC offset is 15mV.

KiCad is very easy to use. I made the following changes because I have these parts in my parts bin:
C1 : 10uF Evox film capacitor (it is huge : 30 x 23 x 13 mm)
C20, C22 : 1000uF, 63V
C14, C16, C10(bootstrap) : 100uF, 63V
C18: 270nF polyester capacitor (mounted under the board)
R3: 10R (I prefer a virtual ground for input)
R32: replaced by a link
R26 & R27 : Dual 0R22 in a single package (salvaged from a old AV amp)

- Stanley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlameST-Front.JPG (654.2 KB, 1230 views)
File Type: jpg BlameST-Back.JPG (686.5 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpg BlameST-working.JPG (758.4 KB, 438 views)
Old 3rd May 2010, 07:40 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Director X, guys
Agenda for extraordinary DX Corp. meeting:
1) to appoint new DX board designer
2) plan aftermarket support for ES builders

You know, Zharmo's 3D view and PCB look pretty good for this type of DIY.
Maybe someone else would like to donate their talent for the (shorter) time it might take in the future?
regards

Last edited by Ian Finch; 3rd May 2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: overlay exists.. oops
Old 4th May 2010, 09:02 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default KiCad file for my version of Blame-ST

Thanks to Zharmo, who has done the hard work in putting together the schematic & the board layout. I had made minor modifications to his layout so that it will fit the Fubata MPC722 dual metal-plate resistor (R26+R27) & big input capacitor (C1) with lead spacing between 12.5 & 27.5mm.

I have attached a screenshot from KiCad & my version of KiCad files. I had build a Blame-ST successfully using these files and I made some minor changes so that the trimpot has better clearance.

KiCad is open-sourced and it is FREE and it also can output gerber files so it is good for professional board production. You have to check all the drill holes for size & grid spacing before you send the drill file off.

- Stanley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blame-ST-MPC722.jpg (262.7 KB, 575 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Blame-ST.zip (20.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 4th May 2010, 10:28 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Zharmo boards and also sng001 modifications are fine

To the Dx Blame ST, we have already a good board layout...of course to order we need Gerber files.... well, order is fine, but etch at your home is even a better DIY behavior... Todd Johnson board is good to etch at home too.

I am happy with Todd's Layout, also very satisfied with Zharmo layout.

I gonna need, something to the Troyan amplifier....this one to be released in July, Sakis have started to make a board to be tested.

To this next one, the "demolition machine", cooperation is needed, i hope Sakis manage to have time to do..but for sure he has not too much free time to do this enterprise... this gonna represent a sacrifice to him.

I use to offer, as a tradition, a sketch, something from my own....not pretty... exactly to show folks that i really need help, that people has some intimate relation with layout software may do it better.

I am addicted to build amplifier... i don't care how they look but how they sound.... but, for sure, good looking is attractive to builders..and these ones are my main target, to reach them, to have happy people enjoying my amplifiers the same way i enjoy..to share..to be a part of a group where we all share the same sonics, the same experiences.

I could see, observing our friend's behavior these last years, the ones loves software, to make layout, sometimes does not like to assemble... also the opposite happens..the ones loves to assemble does not love software to make layout....a more complete guy was Alex mm...but seems he is busy... Alex used to build all circuit he produced layout.... Todd has never built...he said had not time.

Zharmo did it..the complete job..created the board and have built and tested the board... this avoids surprises, as sometimes long lines in parallel, or small distance between copper lines, output coil too much close to input and several others decision mistakes can drive amplifiers to oscilation..so... this should be tested in advance to the release.

Kicad seems to be very good..the software image resolution is awsome (not the image posted).

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsdsds 2057.jpg (725.3 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg Kicad seems to be good.jpg (462.6 KB, 389 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 4th May 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 4th May 2010, 01:21 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to smartx21 Send a message via Skype™ to smartx21
Dear Carlos, right now I am soldering the components, and I found what could be probably a hoax. Could you please explain me what is the actual value for C18? In the schematics the figure is 220nF, but in the BoM appears 2,2uF. Now I got confused about this figure. Thanks for helping me...
Old 4th May 2010, 01:36 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

It seems that Stanley´s board shows some resistors with some extra power dissipation than figured in the BoM.pdf list. Maybe 0.25W be a too low spec for them! Well, when my prototype gets finished I will feel the heat! Or watch the smoke!!!!!
Max.

Last edited by smartx21; 4th May 2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: forgot the signature
Old 4th May 2010, 05:09 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default The amplifier was tested, several times and playing at my home

You gonna have smoke if you light a cigar while powering it on...or if you brain burns because overdrive.

ahahahahah!

Capacitor there can be 220n or 270n... this ones is "charge suckout", works only during crossover moments and while clipping.

bye Max

Carlos

Last edited by destroyer X; 4th May 2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:53 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartx21 View Post
It seems that Stanley´s board shows some resistors with some extra power dissipation than figured in the BoM.pdf list. Maybe 0.25W be a too low spec for them! Well, when my prototype gets finished I will feel the heat! Or watch the smoke!!!!!
Max.
Max,

I installed bigger carbon-film 1W resistor for the following reasons:

R3 (10R) - BOM requires 0.5W & my metal film resistor is only 0.25W.
R17 & R22 (33R) - these are the rail resistors, 0.25W can carry 7mA safely, so I went for for 1W.
R26 & R27 (2R2) - I only had these 1W resistors in my parts bin.
R24 (220R) - it was not listed in the v1.5b BOM, there are space for bigger resistor so I went for 1W.

The Blame-ST runs very cool, no hot spot.

- Stanley
Old 5th May 2010, 01:13 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thanks Stanley for crystal clarifying everything!
And forgive me for the English, that is not my native language, neither the second, nor the third one! Unfortunately, here in Brazil we need to learn English or any other language by our own efforts!
I feel very happy to be understood and your words sounded like what I was expecting to hear (read!).
As soon as my homemade version of the so famous DX Blame ST gets up and running (and I'm sure it will be a great pleasure for us all), I will post the news. And, maybe, some photos, if permitted.
As time goes by.... I think things will be clear for everyone and eventually I will be able to help too, not only post questions, questions and more questions!
Thanks for the kind words.
Best regards.
Max.

Hide this!Advertise here!