Dx Blame ST - Builder's thread - post pictures, reviews and comments here please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
question: what happens if one did?

Nothing, it will work, but not as good as if you would use a more "appropriate" capacitor for that voltage. It has something to do with the chemistry onside the capacitor (the fluids), but I really can't tell you how it affects. That's something I've been hearing for a long time, from different people (all very wise), but I can't explain the reason in details.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
:p:p:p Os are you also a follower ????

Anyway Mitchel is quite correct, higher voltage caps do have superior performance, just take a look at any datasheet especially with regards to esr in the case of electrolytics, there are other factors too. This applies whether its a input cap or supply filter cap, its also the case with other type caps too. Whether the 10 percent margin is necessary is debateable but obviously there is size and cost restrictions as higher voltage caps become larger and more expensive. I think a better way to go about it is to rather use a high quality cap in the first place, these too are usualy larger than your average cap of the same value before going the extreme voltage route which Mitchel is suggesting, well if you can have both then the better.

Anyway Mitchel is quite correct, higher voltage caps do have superior performance, just take a look at any datasheet especially with regards to esr in the case of electrolytics, there are other factors too. This applies whether its a input cap or supply filter cap, its also the case with other type caps too. Whether the 10 percent margin is necessary is debateable but obviously there is size and cost restrictions as higher voltage caps become larger and more expensive. I think a better way to go about it is to rather use a high quality cap in the first place, these too are usualy larger than your average cap of the same value before going the extreme voltage route which Mitchel is suggesting, well if you can have both then the better.

Has anyone did any practical and auditive tests about it? If nothing conclusive against, I stick with Mitchel's statements.

:p:p:p Os are you also a follower ????

As far as I understood what Mitchel said was to use a lower voltage cap instead of a higher voltage one.
And to use it in audio only with a dc biase higher than 10% voltage rating for better performance.
Have I misunderstood?

Usually capacitance nonlinearity increases with rising bias voltage, though I have no data on that in respect to electrolytics.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Well nothing I said is against Mitchel's statements, read again, I said hes quite correct. Lets not look at subjective as its a difficult subject but on paper a higher voltage same value cap does perform better than one which would have a lower voltage. If youd stretch his 10 percent to say 5 percent youd be even better off, but now look at the size difference between these components.

Then again you can find a high quality cap where the ESR is as low as a common cap even if it is rated at a much higher value.

Anyway, what I said is only important when you are dealing with low level signals. If you stop to think, when you are dealing with, let's say, 20V, the rule of the 10% percent minimum will allow us to use any capacitor with voltage rating between 25V and 200V and still have the best performance possible.

On the other hand, when working with low loevel signals, such as 1V, it's much more complicated because we usually don't have 10V caps widely available, what will force us to use higher voltage caps, what is not ideal, as far as I always knew.

Dx Blame ES ... or DX Blame ST ......

what is this?

Are they 2 different amplifiers?
Or is Blame ST an improved version of same one amp?
If is 2 versions of the same amplifier,
then I think is very confusing using 2 different names: Blame ES, Blame ST
I would just use:
Blame ES v1.0
Blame ES v1.5
Blame ES v1.5c

I will take a look at Blame ST v1.5c schema.
And tell you what I like and do not like.
My personal likings and thoughts,
which may be different from what other people's like.

Regards Lineup :)

Well dear niss-man.... i have tried to explain and will do it once again.
I think people have missunderstood my reply in post #313. This just a "joke" to a comment/joke previously made by carlos about wanting his amp to have an Ipod sensor joke. I have already the information I need to produce the volume control circuit and need no more. If people click on the you tube link below the comment they will realise I am saying this comment in jest.

I believe I have found the ipod sensor you are after Carlos. I am not sure about how to connect him to the amplifier though? Maybe 50k pot, maybe 100k pot, or maybe just a big bloody chain.:happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:
YouTube - Worlds Longest Throw Ever with an iPod-154yards?
Surely the "connect him (human) to the amplifier with a big bloody chain" comment would have given it away. Maybe the link should have been earlier in the post so as not to confuse it with a signature.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Anyway, what I said is only important when you are dealing with low level signals. If you stop to think, when you are dealing with, let's say, 20V, the rule of the 10% percent minimum will allow us to use any capacitor with voltage rating between 25V and 200V and still have the best performance possible.

On the other hand, when working with low loevel signals, such as 1V, it's much more complicated because we usually don't have 10V caps widely available, what will force us to use higher voltage caps, what is not ideal, as far as I always knew.

So what youre saying here is that the 10 percent is the ideal, well I dont know about that, is there any papers or experiments done on this subject to see the results. From factory capacitor datasheets if the percentage is 5 percent it will be even better than the 10 percent. Im trying to see the point of the 10 percent and you say that its only viable for small signals why ???

Well friends.... never fear because uncle Charlie is still here

Despite some "deviation" of the thread main target, main objective, i am monitoring the thread to help if needed.

So, builders, needing some help or support, or having questions...just call me in this same thread, or use my direct email adress if you feel more confortable.

carlos.eugenio1951@yahoo.com

regards,

Carlos

usually there is no significant voltage drop across an electrolytic cap in the signal path (otherwise it would presumably be used in a circiut to influence the frequency response where you usually don't use electrolytics in the first place, except for maybe passive crossovers in speakers)
so it is actually not important what signal level the circuit is working on because it is not present across the electrolytic.
Thus proposing to use a 30V cap if you have 3V signal level makes very little sence to me (especially in context to what Mitchel said). (apples and oranges)

If you are serious about your statements you should be able to specify what they are actually about, and what they were formulated for the first place.

To be honest, this topic is getting quite far away from what this thread is supposed to be about (building the Blame ST). It develloped out of a building related query, but has no longer to do anything with that.

If we want to persue this topic on electrolytic caps, I suggest we do it in a new thread on "myths and facts on electrolytic capacitors in audio circuits"!

Last edited:
Please stop this idle talk!

Take a look at this beautiful PCB, METAL designed, instead:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and order the components needed and begin to build the DX Blame.
You will be rewarded with the most beautiful sound you ever heard.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Rudi,
My boards arrived today very well done,looking realy nice and professional.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.