Cambridge audio A5 fried channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, hoping that I might find a solution to my amplifier wo's here...

I have a cambridge audio A5 and its worked fine for the last 5 years but the right channel has just died, i get some sound through from source but its really really quiet and has loads of noise at the same volume as the source output in that channel.

so question one is, has anyone had a similar issue, the threads regarding dead channels on A5's on the forum all seem to be completly dead, and was wondering if the fact i'm getting some signal through would allow a better diagnosis?

question two is, for a quick fix can i wire up 2 speakers through the same channel using the biwire terminals for one and then just get a stereo-mono rca adapter for my input lines to downmix onto one channel? or will wiring speakers like this damage the speakers/amp?

Thankyou for any advice offered

You can probably work through your problem with a bit of help. Have you got any tools?

Is the amp showing any other signs of distress when switched on, i.e. smoking, getting hot, mechanical humming?

Unplug the amplifier when you are doing any mechanical work. Open it up. Work on a clear surface, put the fasteners in containers, photograph everything in good light, good focus and good detail if you can. Don't plug it in unless you are sure you can identify which parts are at mains voltage.

As for using the working channel, the game's not worth the candle...

You have 2 channels, one working. That makes it fairly straightforward to debug.

w

Thanks for your reply, i'll see if i can get some images up tomorrow evening,there are no other signs of damage, its not overly hot and the only 'bad sound' is as i described when you turn up the volume. On the right channel. I'm guessing the problem is gonna be on the power amp side as i'm still getting a signal through the fried channel just a very weak
PHP:
one...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.