amp pics...fun listening :-D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I figured I'd post this. If anyone wants a real size of this pic, let me know and I can email it. This pic is of a friend's house. He just completed an Aleph X, and previously had a Zen1 and Zen4 that he also built. Plus he has a set of Atmosphere amps in the back and my high power (35wpc) Death of Zen on the right. Yes, those are Spica speakers on the floor, and you can get a sense of how big these amps are by looking at the multimeter on the floor. Was a neato listening session...albeit a short one. We really only compared the Aleph X to the DOZ. I heard no immediate huge difference, and although I thought previously that the DOZ was a little light on the bass, I think I was mistaken. My friend thought the X had a bigger soundstage and was a little more dynamic, while the DOZ had great clarity, still a very nice soundstage...nothing could complain about...and was a little more delicate sounding (thin possibly to some people). I think overall for the simplicity of the DOZ...great amp. Yes, the X is really really nice, no question, but quite a bit more complicated. I can't wait for a more extensive session, but all in all I have to say the DOZ really held its own. (yes its not quite done thats why capacitors are spilling out the front). pop me an email w/ any questions or post em here...later all!

-Matthew K. Olson

mattyo5@aol.com

Attachments

• amps.jpg
    amps.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 753
The heatsinks get quite hot. Have over 50v rails and 3A bias. So 150wpc heat! The heatsinks (after being warmed up) get so hot that you can touch em for about 1-2 seconds max. Which means maybe 120-130degrees F. Not too bad if you ask me. But it does make for a warm amp! and a HOT listening room!

-Matthew K. Olson

YES...those HS are HUGE!! LOVE EM!!!

also, please note...i have 8! output transistors instead of only 2 like in Rod's project...so it can handle the rails...also, I have the 2sc5200 outputs for drivers as well as outputs. a normal DOZ will not handle this bias or these rails ...fyi to all. later!

Well, I don't know what my friend's wife thinks. She probably thinks we're nutzo. But since this is "his" room, we can do whatever. As for my wife...she likes it. She just doesn't like the mess. Neither do I, but not much can be done about that! :) This amp is for someone though, so not for me. As long as she keeps that in mind...all is cool :-D

-Matthew K. Olson

Oh, that tangle of wires back there, is actually a gainclone. Cardas posts and the works. everythign but the PS is mounted in a cast aluminum enclosure. Hmm....what else is in the room? Edgar horns w/ JBL 4" aluminum diaphrams (30lb magnets!) and Lambda 15" high eff. woofer plus a 15" stryke audio? (the one w/ the 3" xmax I think) passive radiatored box powered by a crown k2 (not pictured). Lots of goodies. :)

-Matthew K. Olson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.