BV Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Around 2001, or so, I spent an afternoon with Ivo Stepanski of BV Audio while he was residing in New England.
At that time I was a factory rep for Benchmark Media Systems (DAC1).
We spent some time evaluating his power amps along with some custom made enhancing devices.
I know very little regarding the electrical/electronics topics discussed here as a formal subject, but I've been in the pro audio industry for a while.
At that time his amps struck me as being very low distortion units.
Being that I am an electronic violinist, recording engineer/producer, I at least had original source material, as well, good memory of the actual acoustic performances to eval his units.
The price versus performance ratio is good for a commercially marketed unit... should have bought one then.
Now I have the oportunity to by a used BV Audio Integrated A300se.
A few questions please:
1. I did notice a forum member here with BV as a signature from Slovakia-maybe it his him or someone associated with that company's past?
Anyway I did pm him.
2. Anyone here have any knowledge of that company and or the product?
3. From what I recall, having looked under the hood at that time, component selection, layout and build looked to be at least good to very good. Considering the integrated follows in a like fashion (only saw the pwr.amp) and the used unit I am considering could be 6 or more years old, I wish to know what type of life expectancy the circuitry might have?
Of course, factors such as environment/heat, operating levels into what loads over what time, come into play, but the present owner was rather a light user.
4. Anyone know when the "se" version was released and stopped?
5. Any info on service manuals or schematics?
I will be glad to have any info as to who may be associated with this company.
It has been difficult to get any real info, even using transations from consumer forums in chek and slovak users from past.

Below is a little on the int. amp's measurements:

Description: Power output 2x110W RMS 8ohm, THD < 0.01%, 20Hz-22kHz 2x170W RMS 4ohm, THD < 0.015%, 20Hz-22kHz Distortion THD+N (BW 80kHz) max 0.01% / 110W / 8 ohm (20Hz -22kHz) typical 0.002% / 1kHz , 0.006% / 10kHz max 0.015% /170W / 4ohm (20Hz - 22kHz) typical 0.003% /1kHz , 0.008% /10kHz Frequency response 20Hz-22kHz 0 dB -0.1dB 3.3Hz and 190kHz -1dB, 1.2Hz and 450kHz -3dB Bandwidth 80kHz Distortion IMD max 0.004% for 100W/8ohm (60 Hz/4 -80kHz, 4:1) Slew rate SR 50V / us /8ohm Channel separation 1kHz > -105 dB, 10kHz -100dB, 20kHz -95dB Damping factor 500 / 1kHz / 8ohm Noise S/N -105 dB (20Hz-22kHz) DC offset max 10mV, typical <5mV Channel matching < 0.1 dB, -60dB to 0 Protection activation delay, disconnection of output during malfunction, shorted out circuit, overheating, DC output protection, overcurrent protection Inputs 5 x Line inputs RCA Input sensitivity 0.6V Volume adjustment Digitally controlled -60dB to 0dB, from 0 to 99 in 100steps Outputs 1 x tape output 1 x preamplifier output, regulated Connectors signal inputs and outputs - gold plated RCA loudspeakers terminals- 4x gold plated 5 way binding post for each channel Dimensions/Weight 17 ½ x 3 ½ x 14 ¼ inch, net weight 31 lb Stand-by power consumption 2VA AC line voltage 110-120 ACV, 60 Hz (less)

Stand-by power consumption 2VA

Sounds like a ClassAB (or just B) amp...These buggers usually work for ages (lots of comparable amps from the 80ies around). After 15 years replacing the caps would not hurt, but is likely not strictly necessary. Probably first thing that fails/degrades is the volume control if realized with a potentiometer. Is generally rather easily replaced, though.

Have fun, Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.