Odd LM3886 Application Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Folks
Odd application of a decent audio amp chip!

I'm trying to drive some largish magnetic coils at about 30-50 Hz. Impedance at this frequency is about 4 ohms, and I thought I'd use a LM3886 chip to get the signal I needed as I had one kicking around. Now, here's the trick. I need about a 5A offset, and then another 2A sinusoid at 30-50Hz on top of this.

So, I built the Single Supply circuit as shown in the application notes, but left out the in and output caps (see above regarding requiring a DC output). Tried balancing my input voltage on the + and - pins but I still get quite a crazy rail voltage going out, which I'm sure the 4700uF cap would smoke but unfortunately I need that DC bias.

I'm having a bit of trouble balancing the "0V" point using the diagrammed 91k, 100k voltage divider into a 2N3904 transistor. Anybody with a good suggestion on balancing this, or otherwise, I would love to listen.

Thanks in advance

Driving such a load from the LM3886 will require more than one of them. 5A + 2A comes awful close to the current limit spec, if you refer to the sacred text, I mean data sheet. A constant current of 5A through the LM3886 will make it rather warm, too.

Here's a circuit that should work if scaled up a bit. I'm too lazy to troll through a power transistor data book and find something with an appropriate SOA, but you'll obviously need a hefty power transistor, possibly several in parallel, probably a driver transistor as well, and heat sinking.

This application also resembles an AM transmitter modulator. What I remember from my ham radio books is that you'd stick a transformer secondary in series with the plate supply of the power amp, and drive the primary with an appropriate audio amp. That might be an easier approach... use an off-the-shelf audio amp to drive a 1:1 or 2:1 isolation transformer. Saturation could be a problem with a normal AC transformer due to the large DC current, though; maybe it'll need a gap or something.

Have you considered PWM? (Sort of class D amplifier). It allows to control coil current, both AC and DC, without wasting a lot of heat.

Given the operating frequency range (30-50Hz), a high PWM frequency is not required (say 25khz to avoid audible noise) so fast switching is not required either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.