150W MOSFET Amplifier with IRFP250x2

Hi Prasi, C6 polarity and D1 are reverse on schematic, place components as shown in layout. As you can see this IPS is used in other Apex amplifiers NX-14, AX-14, AX-20 etc.

MJE 340 and MJE 350 are common in India. Which city do you live?

2SC4793, 2SA1837 or other TO220 devices can be used with 180° orientation on pcb.

It's difficult to recommend alternatives because I don't know what's available locally to you. Look at first list and last list on posted transistors.pdf file then check at your local electronic component shop any of those available. Also Vceo must 100v or greater.

With TIP142 and TIP147 maximum voltage will be +/-45v for this amp and output will be around 140W-150W @4ohm.

Regards,
Sonal

Hi Sonal,
Thanks for your reply. I live in Pune city. I will try to find out if the transistors are available here.
Also pl answer following questions
1. capacitor 104 (100nF) connecting signal ground and supply ground present on layout and not in schematic and unconnected in the amp photo. should use this capacitor or not?
2. R15 is written twice in the schematic . Pl see attachment of post #274.
3. there are some discrepacies in the values of resistor as mentioned in the parts list and on PCB layout. (e.g. R18: 82R in layout and 220R in parts list.

Here is what I will do. I will prepare the PCB layout as per APEX layout and share it with you. Would you be kind enough to check it for any errors?
reg
prasi

Hi Prasi, C6 polarity and D1 are reverse on schematic, place components as shown in layout. As you can see this IPS is used in other Apex amplifiers NX-14, AX-14, AX-20 etc.

MJE 340 and MJE 350 are common in India. Which city do you live?

2SC4793, 2SA1837 or other TO220 devices can be used with 180° orientation on pcb.

It's difficult to recommend alternatives because I don't know what's available locally to you. Look at first list and last list on posted transistors.pdf file then check at your local electronic component shop any of those available. Also Vceo must 100v or greater.

With TIP142 and TIP147 maximum voltage will be +/-45v for this amp and output will be around 140W-150W @4ohm.

Regards,
Sonal

Hi Sonal,
Pl find below apex D14 kelvin amp pcb with TIP141/142. Supply voltage +/-45V. rest of the components and their values are as per original apex layout. would you be kind enough to tell me if there are any errors?
regards
prasi
PS: I have made a larger pcb (100x81 versus original 82.5x62.5) as my soldering skills are awful and dont want to short different pads/tracks.

Attachments

• APEX_D14.png
    APEX_D14.png
    186.3 KB · Views: 1,655
Last edited:
Hi Sonal,
Pl find below apex D14 kelvin amp pcb with TIP141/142. Supply voltage +/-45V. rest of the components and their values are as per original apex layout. would you be kind enough to tell me if there are any errors?
regards
prasi
PS: I have made a larger pcb (100x81 versus original 82.5x62.5) as my soldering skills are awful and dont want to short different pads/tracks.

Hi,
made Small corrections in routing one /two unrouted wires.
PCB attached.
reg
prasi

Attachments

• APEX_D14.png
    APEX_D14.png
    187 KB · Views: 1,514
Hi Sonal,
regards
prasi

Hi Prasi, use 10R/1W resistor to connect power ground to signal ground parallel with 100nF capacitor. Look at image posted, I have used it on all of my Apex NX and AX series amps I have made.

There is lots of space on pcb, add zobel to output of amp. Use 4R7/2W in series with 100nF capacitor.

Regards,
Sonal

Attachments

• D14b.jpg
    D14b.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 1,426
Last edited:
Hi Prasi, use 10R/1W resistor to connect power ground to signal ground parallel with 100nF capacitor. Look at image posted, I have used it on all of my Apex NX and AX series amps I have made.

There is lots of space on pcb, add zobel to output of amp. Use 4R7/2W in series with 100nF capacitor.

Regards,
Sonal

Hi Sonal,
Thanks for your reply and inputs. I have modified the board accordingly and attaching the PCB. I have connected the zobel across amp output and gnd.
reg
prasi

Attachments

• APEX_D14_rev1.png
    APEX_D14_rev1.png
    278 KB · Views: 1,288

Regards,
Sonal
Hi sonal awaiting your reply on the modified layout before I buy components and etch the PCB.
Reg
Prasi

Hi Prasi, layout is ok, but pad size of resistors, capacitors and some transistors is small for hand drilling. Use any one of eagles design rules files I am posting or edit design rules as you like.

Regards
Sonal

Hi Sonal,
Thanks for DRU file. I checked my PCB with sparkfun.dru and no errors. However, as suggested by you I will go with larger pad sizes for all res/cap/power res/transistors.
thanks again.
reg
prasi

Hi Sonal,
Have a doubt in the layout prepared by me and the amp photo attached by Apex (post no.31, http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/163159-150w-mosfet-amplifier-irfp250x2-4.html).
I have made the PCB layout as per schhematic of apex , but Orientation of Q6 BC557 is reversed on the photograph posted by APEX in the above link.
can you confirm, which is correct?
I have attached pics of both circling the difference.
regards
prasi

Attachments

• APEX_D14_rev1_approved_final - Copy.png
    APEX_D14_rev1_approved_final - Copy.png
    339 KB · Views: 1,683
  • APEX D14_kelvin_ PCB size62,5x82,5mm - Copy.jpg
    APEX D14_kelvin_ PCB size62,5x82,5mm - Copy.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 1,788
Last edited:
Hi prasi,
Apex one is correct. I think orientation of BC557 in eagle is wrong, collector should connect to negative supply.

Regards,
Sonal

Hi Sonal and others,
i am attaching herewith my apex kelvin amplifier build . i just need clarification on the MJE350 and MJE340 orientation. whether i havemounted correctly?
As suggested by you earlier, the power ground and signal ground are seperated and also a zobel is incorporated on the amp pcb itself.
reg
prasi

Attachments

• 00_comp_ IMG_9342.JPG
    00_comp_ IMG_9342.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 00_comp_ IMG_9343.JPG
    00_comp_ IMG_9343.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 1,483
  • 00_comp_ IMG_9344.JPG
    00_comp_ IMG_9344.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 1,336
  • 00_comp_ IMG_9345.JPG
    00_comp_ IMG_9345.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 373
  • 00_comp_ IMG_9346.JPG
    00_comp_ IMG_9346.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 349
  • 00_comp_ IMG_9347.JPG
    00_comp_ IMG_9347.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 402
Hi Sonal,
Thank you for your reply. I have already mounted the pcb on the heatsink that i had. I will just test the amp pcb for its operation and then I will order the new bigger size heat sink as suggested by you from the website. Can I mount both PCB's side by side on a 200-230mm heat sink for stereo application? I am also planning to put a processor fan at the back of amp for extra cooling.
Also kindly answer my following query.
1. How is the bass response of the kelvin amp that you built. I have built the APEX lm3886 and feel that bass is bit lacking ( as compared to SC 301 | astonia audio). Its a soild state amp that has good review on AVmax magazine and sound is amazing , especially the bass. May be they have boosted the bass. Dont know really. May be apex lm3886 is very neutral with a flat frequency response approaching true hi-fi (whats recorded is what should be heard)
reg
prasi