B&K AVR507 dead...well, sort of.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I'm a noob on this forum and have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.

As the title suggests, I have a B&K AVR507 receiver that will not power up. When I turn on the power, it acts as if it going to turn on, then goes into "sleep" mode. I am assuming that it is a self protect mode.

My background is in electronics, but I have not had to troubleshoot consumer electronics (audio/video gear) for about 15 years. Even back then, I didn't spend a lot of time with audio gear because I gravitated to camcorders since they paid more :)

I purchased the unit at Magnolia Hifi. I have called and emailed B&K for a schematic, no response. I called Magnolia Hifi to see if I could get a schematic from them, no response. I called Magnolia's service department and spoke with someone about repairing this unit. I wanted to make sure that Magnolia had their own separate repair department from Best Buy, (Magnolia was purchased by Best Buy several years ago) because I didn't want Best Buy techs working on it. I used to work at Best Buy and don't have any confidence that it will be repaired properly. I found out that their service departments are one in the same.

Which brings me to my questions. Is there any 3rd party I can order these schematics from? Where is the best place to order MOSFET's (if needed), and what is the most effective way to test a MOSFET that you have found?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.