what mean by audio power amplifier 10watt output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,

a little confusing here.newbie to pow. amp. When the kits says that it has 10watt output for a 8ohm load. is it mean that the speaker that i choose to connect to must have a nominal power of 10watt? if i use a higher watt speaker? what will happen?

If i delivered 10 watts to a 80 watt speaker, is it the same as delivered 10 watts to a 200 watt speaker?

thank you.

Last edited:
The speaker rating (200 watts) is the maximum power it can handle, thats all it means and dosnt really tell you much. Whats more important (especially for a low power amp of 10 watts) its the speaker efficiency which tells you how loud the speaker is for a certain power.

If i delivered 10 watts to a 80 watt speaker, is it the same as delivered 10 watts to a 200 watt speaker?

Yes if they both have the same efficiency ( eg 90dbSPL/watt )

10 watts into a 96dbSPL/watt efficient spkr will give you the same loudness as 20 watts into 90dbSPL/watt spkr. (every 6db increase in efficiency halfs the power needed.)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.