Power supply capacitor replacement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all.Getting ready to recap the power supply on my yamaha m-80 amp.There is a pair of 33,000uf @56v. and a pair of 47,000uf @45v.I checked mouser & newark & these are in the $50.each price range.Way more then I want to spend so can I parallel 3 or 4 capacitors to get the uf I need? I would be doing this 4 times.The smaller 10k,12k,15k, caps are only 4,5,6 dollars each.Is there any down side to doing this.This is for my personal amp so I do not have to worry about a customer seeing it. I was allso thinking of using # 12 solid wire to link them together.Any suggestions? Thanks, tom

Thanks your right.I'll look them over better.I am planing on a general recap & figured I would replace the big ones to.The amps 20 plus years old & I allways though with fresh power supply caps the base would be better.I hate to spend the better part of a hundred dollars on 4 caps.I wont spend half that on resistors, diodes small caps.Tom

Thanks your right.I'll look them over better.I am planing on a general recap & figured I would replace the big ones to.The amps 20 plus years old & I allways though with fresh power supply caps the base would be better.I hate to spend the better part of a hundred dollars on 4 caps.I wont spend half that on resistors, diodes small caps.Tom
I agree with CLiff, don;t replace them just because it feels good. Rebuild what needs rebuilding, then replace caps that need to be replaced.

However, a look through Digikey provides some stock number to consider:

565-3327-ND 47000uf 50v screw terminals $16.64 in stock

P10020-ND 33000uf 50v snap-in $13.16 in stock (In case the circuit doesn;t really HAVE to be 56v capped.)
P10022-ND 33000uf 50v snap-in $13.80 in stock (different dimensions)

P13283-ND 33000uf 80v snap-in $29.80 in stock

I like Mouser a lot, but Digikey often comes through on big caps. Sometimes Allied as well.

Hello,I also found the first & last caps at digi-key.When I get the unit open I will check voltage at that circut.The schematic shows 56v & our house ac here in florida was 123vac last time I checked.I always thought that the main power supply caps were the most important ones to renew because of age.And that they effect everything downstream.Thanks for posting,tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.