Interesting new devices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I miss the possibility of adding source-resistors.
Though I admit I'd have to check again, why I think I might need them. Maybe for paralleling due to the...

...quite low current rating.
what am I supposed to do with 8Ap at 200V :rolleyes:

Maybe usefull for a compact 2x30W@4R (2x60W@8R) Stereo with one of these per channel, but actually there are ICs for that, wich are even smaller than an amp built with these new devices, if size is the measure.

Maybe someone can find and point out an application, where these devices can make an advantage.

PS: in class D you don't really need linear devices, you don't need low threshold voltage. In fact you need the oposite for D - you want to have low leakege current and high gm for fast switching, and especially the lowest R_ds_on wich these devices here definitely fail to have. I have already seen combined p/n devices in one package for switching apps, though i don't remember wether they were powerfull enough.

Last edited:
This is a lateral MOSFET which means it would be very inefficient in class D due to high Rdson. It is intended for linear operation.
Maximum power dissipation for lateral MOSFETs on which this part is based is on the order of 80-100W and it's mostly determined by the die size. The case used, if well executed, can manage 150W under the same conditions so it's not unreasonable to put two dies in there - it would be if they used larger 10A dies.
This device is really intended to replace the output transistors in a single pair design, which realistically limits the output power to some 50W or so. In such cases source resistors are not required (in fact, they may even not be desired) as the laterals already have low gm and rather large rail losses, and there is no need to fit them for thermal stability. That being said, a close look at the curves shows that the N part has higher gm than the P part (in common with older types that these are based on), so there have been designs where this was equalized somewhat by the inclusion of a source resistor in the N-ch part's source only, even though this requires a lot of consideration for changes in gm vs temperature.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.