Basic6 Amp from 41hz audio- volume control?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello. just bought this amp from 41hz audio... its unclear how long it will actually be until i get it, but i wanted to ask if there was a simple way to add volume control to it.

of course, i could use the computer that will be connected to this, but i would MUCH rather have a hardware volume knob that is independent on if the computer is working properly or not.

i cant imagine this hasnt been asked yet, but i couldnt find anything in a search....

there might be a way after all... i was told by someone on another forum that all i have to use is a linear pot across the power input of that amp... i just just turn the amp on, set the pot to 0-ohms and connect. i havent tried it yet as i dont have the amp, but i will do so as soon as i get it!

thanks for looking anyways guys!

Hi,

you might have better luck with this question in the "Class D" subforum instead of "Solid State".

But yeah, I would recommend a logarithmic pot instead of a linear one. (And you add it before the audio input, not the power input.)

Here's a brief but good general discussion of volume pots: How to Wire Panel Components

Here's a little more detail: Notes on Audio Attenuators

Here's a nice video that shows how pots work: How a Potentiometer Works

:D im sorry man, i know about pots and stuff.. i was just wondering if real people were looking at this. tomorrow i would have come on here and said "im about to hook up the supply, but my friend told me to put 240v to it first and make sure you have a tank of propane in the garage" you should have waited a couple more days, i wasnt going to stop:D

i have 10k audio log pots from radio shack that i think will work well enough, i just didnt know exactly where to solder it to on this amp (or if i should add anything else like a cap for whatever reason)

i very well might be able to figure it out from the documentation that might come with this amp, it really sucks they dont have a schematic or anything on the 41hz website. anyway, i know its a simple question- the wiki's on this site dont work either so i had to make this thread.

Haha :D

i have 10k audio log pots from radio shack that i think will work well enough, i just didnt know exactly where to solder it to on this amp (or if i should add anything else like a cap for whatever reason)

If you look at it electrically, the pot is just kind of floating on the input wires. It just takes some of what is on the signal wires and dumps it to the ground wire. That's it. That's all a pot does.

And so, mechanically, what you're doing when you add a pot is that you just cut up the three audio input wires and munge the pot onto them. And happen to leave enough wire to have the pot be able to fit on a panel side somewhere :)

And just look at the amp plus the input cap as a sealed, black-box system, for the purpose of adding the pot. (The key to adding a pot is to see how simple it really is.)

i pretty much understand you. the only part that is cloudy is how you have 3 input wires (left, right, grnd) and a pot has 3 posts (0ohm/middle tap/full ohm)... i dont really see how those match up, unless you get like a DPDT pot if they make such things.... anyway like i said itll probably make a lot more sense when i can actually look at the amp itself.

btw, 41hz audio has not responded to any emails and i have no shipping confirmation. are they still in business? my order should come right?

Hi

Here is some reading that may help ,if you don't mind:

amp 6 basic volume control

AMP__6-B - 41Hz Audio Tec Doc

precisely what i was asking for! thank you so much, i had looked for forums on 41hz website, i apparently didnt look hard enough. i never was looking for a handout, i can research i was just honestly stuck. this unsticks me! again, thank you. i apologize if i went about it a little obnoxious....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.