MOSFET Amplifier IRFP240/IRFP9240

OK, I wasn't satisfied that I had everything right so I etched a new set of boards and started over with all new parts. This is what I have now. First of all, I can get it to adjust to 20mA bias and the 100k pot will adjust the offset to 0V. It will play music one channel at a time but it sounds a little distorted. It will not work with both channels hooked up to the PSU. As soon as I do that, the bias goes through the roof. Fortunately I have it hooked up via a light bulb so nothing burned up this time. The only thing I have done different that the schematic is that I used 47n rather that 56n, 4k7/4k7 rather than 6k8/6k8. I also used KSC3503 for the VAS and BD139 for the bias spreader.

Looking for suggestions.

I can't understand where is your problem....
I will repeat, i had used 12K in the ltp, 5k6+5k6 in the vas for +/-50v.
Play nicely in stereo mode.

I thought maybe it was the trimmer at the input. It was adjusted to about 28K to zero the offset so this morning I set it to 47k thinking that would work but no such luck. Each channel will play music alone but hooked up together they go into overload. There is something wrong but I just can't find it. I will put up a schematic with voltages today and maybe that will shed some light.

I thought maybe it was the trimmer at the input. It was adjusted to about 28K to zero the offset so this morning I set it to 47k thinking that would work but no such luck. Each channel will play music alone but hooked up together they go into overload. There is something wrong but I just can't find it. I will put up a schematic with voltages today and maybe that will shed some light.

Do you use ground star?

Attachments

• mos200 wireing.jpg
    mos200 wireing.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 949
Yes, I have separate ground wires from power ground and signal ground. Here is a picture of how it is wired.
Connect gnd from R channel input rca socket to gnd L input rca socket.
Use one cable to connect this common gnd to power supply 0v
Connect the rca sockets R&L using coaxial cables to the amplifiers boards as usual.
Do not use any other cable from signal gnd to power supply 0v.
Please look on the Apex schematic carefully!

Last edited:
I had a pair of hybrid valve/tda7294 amps that had the same problem.
Worked fine on their own but had violent oscillation when both powered up on same supply.
There must be some interaction between them to become unstable.
Maybe a bad star ground problem where the output is getting back into the input somehow through a bad ground or through the power rails.

Make sure there are no ground loops when connecting two amplifiers.
The only common connections should be at the smoothing caps at zero volts,55 volts and - 55 volts.
If you get noise in the ground line it can modulate the input signal which drives the amplifier which in turn modulates input signal more.

I designed a USB mixer that had ground problems and had 1VAC of signal on output with input shorted !

Yes Terry i can confirm that is an oscillating amplifier, unfortunately.
I haven't a scope test but i measure 35mV a.c 137kHz. at the speaker out.
This oscillate only when speaker or dummy load attachment. Without a load is ok.
You can kill oscillation if you short the input.

Last edited:
Yes Terry i can confirm that is an oscillating amplifier, unfortunately.
I haven't a scope test but i measure 35mV a.c 137kHz. at the speaker out.
This oscillate only when speaker or dummy load attachment. Without a load is ok.
You can kill oscillation if you short the input.

Hi Thimios, I did see oscillation for the short time my signal generator was working. Now I can't get it to power up with both channels hooked up. Single channel plays but doesnt sound right. I put 47p on the vas but no improvement. Miles says many of these have been built and used but maybe with different transistors than I used.

Last edited:
Hi Thimios, I did see oscillation for the short time my signal generator was working. Now I can't get it to power up with both channels hooked up. Single channel plays but doesnt sound right. I put 47p on the vas but no improvement. Miles says many of these have been built and used but maybe with different transistors than I used.

I connect ground like in schematic from post =1266 and I use MJE340 for VAS Outputs was 2sk1529/2sj200 and irfp249/9240 in several pcbs there is no any bias or osccilation instability.