MOSFET Amplifier IRFP240/IRFP9240 - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2010, 01:56 PM   #51
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Nice work, Mile
Old 28th February 2010, 02:14 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
Nice work, Mile
Hvala zemljak, potrudio sam se. Mada lose mi ide pisanje na Engleskom, pola ih nerazumem, na Srpskom bi napisao roman o ovom pojacalu. Ugradio sam preko 120 modula, sema je zahvalna, stabilna i besumna. Mirna struja se cak blago smanjuje kako se pojacalo greje, a koliko sam razumeo neki neveruju da to uopste moze da radi. Neko je pomislio da ja to hocu da prodajem. Ja ovo pojacalo vise ne radim, ali mogu da preporucim svakome. Ovakav dizajn ne zastareva kao ni lampe. Meni za PA trenutno vise odgovara H klasa zbog vece snage i manje grejanja, a i 2SA1943/2SC5200 imaju veci probojni napon.
Pozdrav
Old 28th February 2010, 03:17 PM   #53
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Mile, prijavi se na diyaudio.rs - tamo smo svi iz Srbije kao i ovde, ali je sve na srpskom, otvori ovu istu temu i tamo pa da se raspricamo (tamo mi je nick sipi). Citamo se !
P.S. Nemoj ovde da pises na srpskom, nije po pravilima foruma

Apexaudio is not a guy with an "attitude", he is just having great difficulties understanding english. He is not selling this amp and he is not even making it any more (he went for class H with BJTs). This amp is his contribution to the forum as proven and thermally/electrically stable design which was reliably used in PA for more than a decade.
Old 28th February 2010, 04:09 PM   #54
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

for Juma :

apexaudio - Viewing Profile
Old 28th February 2010, 04:23 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
Yes, that my profile at diyaudio.rs
Old 28th February 2010, 06:05 PM   #56
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumaudioguy View Post
Dear Apex, Please take time to try this. Tie a 1000F capacitor between the emitter of Q9 to the emitter of Q10. I truly believe this will really clean up the highs even though the amp sounds good now.

Now a question, why are the gate resistors of the output FET 470 ohms? It seems to me I have measured this device and its impedance is 50 ohms so a gate resistor of 50 ohms would make more sense to me. This may cause some other problem and if you do not feel like taking time to answer that is fine. No insult is intended!
Hi

A cap between emitter of Q9 and emitter of Q10 provides AC coupling between the OPT gates and allows the negative driver to discharge the positive mosfet gates and vice versa. At low frequencies, the charge required to drive the mosfet gates is very small, but for higher frequencies it is significant. Vgs increases for higher output conductance so when the current falls back to the zero crossing, the extra charge must be sucked out or cross conduction may happen at higher frequencies, creating some Gm doubling and distortion. To me, this distortion sounds a bit like crossover distortion. Also bias of the output stage should be high enough to counter the transconductance droop of the fets so it becomes more constant WRT current. This helps to reduce crossover distortion, probably somewhere around 150-250mA.

470R does seem a bit high for gate stoppers. Have you ever considered using a Zobel filter on each OPT gate? This allows you to control the frequency roll off more accurately than just a gate stopper alone. Of course PCB layout and proper grounding is very important.

Q7 & Q8 bias is 600uA + a couple hundred uA of base current. This seems a little light for MJE350. Perhaps you could consider bumping it up to a couple mA and use a small signal device with higher Ft and lower Cob. Q9/10 does not require enough base current to warrant a med pwr device for Q7/8, IMHO. With a small signal VAS transistor, you may be able to reduce that huge 100pf phase lag compensation cap that is swamping away all of your BW, considering the output Z of the input stage.
Old 28th February 2010, 08:08 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

2SC2383 and 2SA1013 I use on most PCBs. MJE340 and MJE350 only at few PCBs powered on +/-90V and with extra IRFP240/IRFP9240. In diffamp I use 2SA970 and 2SC2240 on few PCBs.
Old 1st March 2010, 04:11 PM   #58
khalsa is offline khalsa  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa
Hi apex i am impressd your mosfet amp desin but i dont know your h class circuit please informaition khalsaaudiocenter@yahoo.com
Old 1st March 2010, 05:11 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalsa View Post
Hi apex i am impressd your mosfet amp desin but i dont know your h class circuit please informaition khalsaaudiocenter@yahoo.com
H class amplifier
Pout 480W 8R, 750W 4R
H class amplifier is stil in comercial use. I post schematics when he was remain with new driver model. I will post schematic of older version H class amplifier with NE5532 in iput stage and IR2117 for driving step mosfets.
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:59 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

Parts on Schematics use this PCB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APEX MOSFET SCH.jpg (618.1 KB, 2937 views)
File Type: jpg APEX MOSFET MON.jpg (549.5 KB, 2632 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!