Class A electronics ban?? fact or fiction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Come on Edmond and Wahab . . .

I built both AB and A and they sound great . . . but they also sound different.

And yes, people do 'tune' their amps to get a certain sound - for example Nelson tweaks the bias current to bring out the 2nd harmonic.

My e-amp was my effort at a low distortion, high power amp. The sx-amp is 15W class A but I defy anyone who listens to it to tell me it sounds crap - fantastic for baroque music!

My son trained as a recording engineer and spent alot of time working with B&W 801's and 802's and some high end electronics and he was very impressed.

So, for the intellectual challenge, sub ppm is very exciting.

For aural pleasure . . . . you do not need sub ppm! And that is what I design and build amplifiers for: to listen to them

:)

How did I miss this thread?

Anyway, we had a 1968 "solid state" Heathkit TV with the "instant on" feature. It had a rectifier from the power transformer that put half-wave rectified power to the CRT filament with thepower switch "off," so it only took a couple of seconds for the picture to come on. This was a popular feature on TVs at the time.
Then there was the 1973 energy crisis, and I understand a law was passed (In the USA) making such circuits that took power in the "off" state illegal.

But somewhere along the line we got always-on wall-warts and TVs with remote controls (where something has to be on all the time to receive the IR "on" command), and I don't know whatever happened to that law or its enforcement or what.
Assuming 200W useless thermal dissipation for a mid power class A
amp , this will require a nuclear reactor for each five millions users....

Think about it if 50 millions users get class A.
49.99 million users wouldn't notice the difference if the usual Class AB amplifiers were sold to them as Class A. I doubt I could hear the difference myself unless it's a guitar amp with the output stage driven into distortion.

And what's responsible for it? Class-A (to point at the most obvious ;) )

Wow, Edmond.

We are talking about politicians here.

I never expect anything based in realities from such.
Ther only thing driving politicians is to make the decisions wich is favourable for them to be elected again at the next election. NOTHIN else.

Any politician who claimes He/She is in it for the oppotunity to make a real change is either form a party who never ever will get influence, or He/She lies.

The earth have increased its temperature all the way since last iceage.
And will continue to do so until excactly the same happens again as it did last time the earths temperature rised in a similar matter.
Class A or not.

My proposal is this: Enjoy life while we can.
Make love the best you can.
Listen to all the beautiful music as much as you can, via Class A, Class AB or any other class that suits your ears the very best.

:usd:

wow! look at the thread go!! it slept for over 2 years and has had more traffic in the last week than the entire rest of time....

but yes, my point was I did not like the idea of the Class A inspector, while my entire multi-amped, multichannel dac power consumption for the week is absolutely dwarfed by what many Soccer Mom's use in an afternoon driving their 4 wheel drive tanks thinking it makes them safer... vs a decent car. or what my neighbor's sleep mode uses while hes at work.

funny you mention wireless power transfer, i've just started planning a wireless battery charger/ wifi audio dock for my portable DAC/AMP/headphone rig. On the flipside of that technology i'm looking into powering my wifi remote/MCU/fault monitor/power cycling for my audio system with the new wifi power harvesting XBee modules that dont need a power source, they completely live off stray wifi energy.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.