diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Solid State (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/)
-   -   Class A electronics ban?? fact or fiction (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/161989-class-electronics-ban-fact-fiction.html)

qusp 24th February 2010 03:43 AM

Class A electronics ban?? fact or fiction

Hi guys, I recently heard a rumor that class A electronics are going to be outlawed as anything that consumes full power while idle is to be discontinued. is there any truth to this? I mean it wouldnt surprise me the way things are going and until they start sending out inspectors I dont think us DIYers have much to worry about, plus of course a solution is to simply power down the unit when not in use.

but this could end in tears

Steve Eddy 24th February 2010 03:55 AM

Outlawed by who exactly?

se

smokinghot 24th February 2010 03:56 AM

If you had stated that it was coming out of California. I wouldn't have doubted it for a moment. :)

Steve Eddy 24th February 2010 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinghot (Post 2096846)
If you had stated that it was coming out of California. I wouldn't have doubted it for a moment. :)

Hehehe, no ****!

se

nigelpsmith 24th February 2010 04:18 AM

It would be difficult to define idle. For a Class A amplifier, when does "idle" begin and "listening at really low volume" end? Or if I'm playing music while I'm out of the house, is my amplifier really being "used"?

Personally, I suspect this is gossip. The situation is totally different for equipment that has a standby mode, but that's not the case here.

The best analogy is probably the car industry - you can still buy a gas guzzler, even if govt. would prefer you didn't.

Nigel

Trevor White 24th February 2010 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp (Post 2096827)
Hi guys, I recently heard a rumor that class A electronics are going to be outlawed as anything that consumes full power while idle is to be discontinued. is there any truth to this? I mean it wouldnt surprise me the way things are going and until they start sending out inspectors I dont think us DIYers have much to worry about, plus of course a solution is to simply power down the unit when not in use.

I have heard something like this happening in Australia in the future. I think I may have read it in Australian Hifi magazine.

The challenge is to design stuff which is both efficient and performs equally well if not better ;) That shouldn't be hard ;)

regards
trev

Luke352 24th February 2010 05:28 AM

As said by Trevor White, in the latest Australian hifi mag, there was a review on a Class A amp, and as part of the review the writer mentioned the bringign in of new laws in Australia that will set new efficiency standards for all consumer electronic equipment which will basically outlaw all Class A amplifiers, and even some Class A/B amps.

But this won't stop DIYers!

But still it will be a shame to loose all that lovely equipment to the market.

AKSA 24th February 2010 06:03 AM

I suspect this is wishful thinking on the part of the review writer. I've seen nothing on this anywhere.

I think also that laws should be introduced rationing hydrocarbon fuels (or their equivalents) for domestic households/vehicles of no more than 50 litres per week, including electricity, gas, and the energy content intrinsic in desalinated water.

Honestly, the use of energy by modern societies is clearly wrong, and should be immediately curtailed. Laws should be passed, with stiff penalties.....

This is frightfully important. There should be a G8 summit about this.

Bob, W7ETA 24th February 2010 06:11 AM

We can't even get products to conform to FCC specifications.

Its illegal to sell non-type accepted CB radios here, yet CB is full of illegal amplifiers and illegal radios.

Bob

thoriated 24th February 2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp (Post 2096827)

It sounds like just a silly urban legend trying to get started. There's plenty of electronics that 'consumes full power at idle', including almost all digital that will never be outlawed.