DIY Shelf Stereo System?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok most of us know what a Shelf Stereo System is....

an Audio System that intergrates many diffrent media types into one compact (and sometimes not so compact) Unit.

Most Newer Models have Very Falsely Beefed Up Power Output specs.

and Flashy Designs..

what i was wondering is has anybody attempted to make their own?

no i dont mean buying Seperate Amplifiers,CD Changers,FM/AM Tuners and Connecting them Together.

i mean Buying the Nessecary Components and Circuits and Putting them together to Work...(This is Diy i want to Do myself..not buy Assembeled Commercially).

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There are at least a couple similar projects here already.... and with an ipod, you can keep it pretty simple, but i do have a DVD player that would be well suited to ripping apart to add CD playback. Add a tuner and some Class D modules (the original SI is available as boards now, and there are a zillion varities on eBay), a set of milliSize speakers (maybe CHR to be immune to the weather and not so expensive that you cry to much if the get kicked), 12 V battery pack and a charger and away you go.

I've always wanted to do something like this that fits in a small toolcase/suitcase. Hmmm, i have all the parts needed already (iPod only is fine with me). Just no time.

dave

It's unlikely that this is feasible for DIY. A key part of building such a system is to integrate as much as possible onto one board, one power supply etc. A key part of building a DIY audio system is for quality reasons, not cost.

Quality is the Excact Reason why im Proposing this Project,it doesnt Have to be Feasible,or Cheap...

also..no IPOD's for me...CD's..Tapes...anything else will do...except the Compressed MP3 Format.

If you want it compact, use an external wallwart supply. That's about the only way to avoid humm from toroid (humm from grounding can be dealt with).

Have fun, Hannes

Walwart?.....possibly if i wanted to build a small one...but i prefer to keep all of the components in one Chasis,im also not Mad if it Turns out kinda big too.

(one of Sony's Larger,More Expensive Shelf Systems is Monsterous and the Whole thing Weighs 90 IBS)

so size isnt an issue (Within a Certain Limit) as long as it Preforms Well.:)

An iPod does not have to carry compressed music. Mine has never been touched by that trash... i am now using AIFF files. Certainly outperform tape, and you'd have to have a fairly decent CD player to equal it. And a whole lot smaller & easier.

dave

well im not a Fan of Digital Media Players..:)

How would you go about Creating a Screen to Display Info while the thing is Running?

Also i see alot of mini Systems are "Bi-Amped" is there a Specific purpose for this?

a Single Amp with a Crossover seems less complicated and Similar sounding.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/143541-remote-controlled-cd-rom-controller.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/30529-another-cdrom-controller-kit.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/swap-meet/127216-great-cdrom-control-kits-sale.html

CDROM controller DIY kits with Blue/White LCD display - eBay (item 260423272895 end time Jan-14-10 11:10:29 PST)

The integrated that Patrick designed can be used as a simple 40+40 full range amp. Then you can "add in" the built in electronic cross-overs, add an external amp and bi-amp speakers or add a woofer / sub to existing speakers.

i do have Parts Existing that can Be Reused if i figure out their Opperating Voltages,currents and which pins go Where.

For Example...i have a Circuit Board from a Panasonic SB-AK300K Mini Shelf System
the Board purpose is for the systems Auxillary Imput and FM/AM Tuner...it was Working when Removed.

i also have the Power Transformer from this Very System...voltage outputs is yet to be determined but it works.

also have the Power Transformer from a Sony 75 Watt Self Powered Subwoofer

as Well as the Amplifier of a 35 Watt Sony Bass Module...amp works but parts of the Power Supply Section are No Good.

would it be Wise to Reuse any of these Parts?

All the parts

I'd want to recycle. At least the transformer.

Hard decision, but I'd gladly send a kit that would minimize the time on the other stuff. It's cheap yet quality. It has many features.

It will fit in a CD rom external drive.. see website. This conforms to the book shelf size. Hmmm... that's another fine creative case style.

I once saw some speakers that looked just like a book!(~1988). It had binding, gold leaf, and I think it said Audio Encyclopedia. Sound was thin because of the small speakers.

Attachments

• stereo 80 pcb.jpg
    stereo 80 pcb.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 157
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.