Would these transformers be of any use to me? :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3 PHASE TRANSFORMER: This transformer is sealed and built to military specs. Primary winding: 208V +/- 10%, 50/60/400 Hz +/-5%; Secondary winding: 45 @ 25A, 25 @ 1A.

I'm not sure what makes it a 3 phase if the input is only 208volts... Would I be able to run this off of 240volts single phase mains? its pretty chunky and I would need 2 of the.. lol but at only $22 each they could be usefull for a super duper amp... (yes, still planning it... lol) 12kgs each... :D any ideas? any good? and whats with the 50/60/400Hz thing?

someone please help me... :) THANX!!

Guess how much they cost..... (Australian $$)

Usefull only if you have 3 phases at home with correct voltage otherwise almost useless.
If you use those on single phase you will use only one winding and there will be no use for the two other windings.
I you have three phase at home you can build a very powerfull supply with low ripple without use of heavy capacitor.

audiofan said:
Usefull only if you have 3 phases at home with correct voltage otherwise almost useless.
If you use those on single phase you will use only one winding and there will be no use for the two other windings.
I you have three phase at home you can build a very powerfull supply with low ripple without use of heavy capacitor.

Well... I don't have 3 phase at home... :( Perhaps I should consider it? :) Is that possible? lol how much would it cost? So, this transformer has three 208volt primaries? what voltage is 3 phase? I thought it was like 400... hmm, anyway.. thanx for teh help.. :D

till said:
i have 3*230V. i would like to have transformers like that.

well, you ain't getting any.. THERE ALL MINE!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!! I WANNA BE ABLE TO USE THEM!!!!! :( can I get 3 phase electricity connected to my house? :D please!!!!

Okay.. I'll tell you.. :) they only cost $22 Australian each.... not bad..... except I have no way to use them... :( lol second hand of corse.. lol I WANNA BUY AND USE SOME!!!! :(

Interesting. I know an audiophile here on Vanc. Island who used to have a pair of Gradient CAT/MRI amplifiers from the hospital that he used in his system. Each amp was one channel and rated for 10kW. The amps also needed three phase power. So what did this insane person do? He payed $10k to get 3phase installed at his house when he was living on Pender Island. Apparently they were nice amps, I guess so if they needed 3phase and weighed 2000lbs each amp... lol...

I wonder what it will cost you to get 3phase service installed?

10,000watts? :rolleyes: hmm... lol...
Well... I am not aiming quite that high... lol
I could just buy the transformers, make the amps, and then sell them... :D buts its only 45volts... :( thats like 65volts DC.... and its not enough.... :( unless I do a bridge amp.... ahh, what am I saying... I have no money.. anyone else is Australia wanna buy some transformers?

lol, that's for sure. Man, I should call BC Hydro when we move into our new house and ask them how much it would cost to install 3phase. Then they'd ask me who I was and why on earth I'd need 3phase in a residential area. Then I'd say, cause I'm a 16 yr old audiophile that wants power for his 10000 W/pch stereo. Then the linesman would say, you've gotta be insane. Then I'd say, I'm dead serious man, get over here and write my estimate!:D

in our city here i don´t know any house without 3 phase. In fact, i need it for at leat one dozend of my electric power tools like compressor, welder, bandsaw, planer, even dust exauster for the woodworking tools. Also kitchen has 400V for electric stove. So the only thing against building 3phase power supplys until now was you need 3 transformers, and this is expensive up to the point you safe the same amount of money in need less large capacitors. Would be the right solution for an high power alephx or aleph.

When most of you say you dont have three-phase, do you mean
your whole house/flat runs on one phase only, or just that you
don't have any three-phase outlets?

Here in Sweden, we usually have three phase to the house/flat, but no three-phase outlets, except for the stove which often
runs on three-phase. The three phases are then distributed
over the single-phase outlets, so we do have three phases, but
usually no three-phase outlets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.