Class AB Amp kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

is there something comparable to the emotiva xpa-2 2 channel amp in
the diy world? something you can build that is a lot less in price? looking
for simliar output power to drive maggies.

I've searched and found a few kits/modules but the prices are just
crazy, equal to or more than the retail unit and without the chassis,hardware.

Only those people who have amassed a full junk box seem to be able to turn out amps without worrying their wallet.

The 'chip amps' possibly offer a good compromise if you want to build.

Another option is to find an old used amplifier off fleaBay and repair/upgrade it as your wallet allows.

I second this! He can try the LM3875 (fewer parts) or He can get an old amp from e-bay and restored it to his liking.I have seen many there.

thanks everyone. I've built the gainclones and the alephs. trying to move away from the alephs even though they produce the best sound I have heard so far. mainly for power consumption reasons.

I've been seriously considering the xpa-1 but at $2K for the set or the xpa-2 at $800, it's steep. so I was looking for a less costly diy alternative. my speakers being in the 86dB sens. range, I'm looking for higher power units like the xpa-1. not that I need that much power but it should sound better being able to handle the transients,etc...

One could be pick any kit or build one up but there is no guarantee.
I thought there might be a general consensus here for previous high power
class AB amps. higher power being 200watt or more per channel into 4ohms.

I'm in no hurry, will keep looking.

thanks everyone. I've built the gainclones and the alephs. trying to move away from the alephs even though they produce the best sound I have heard so far. mainly for power consumption reasons.

I've been seriously considering the xpa-1 but at $2K for the set or the xpa-2 at $800, it's steep. so I was looking for a less costly diy alternative. my speakers being in the 86dB sens. range, I'm looking for higher power units like the xpa-1. not that I need that much power but it should sound better being able to handle the transients,etc...

One could be pick any kit or build one up but there is no guarantee.
I thought there might be a general consensus here for previous high power
class AB amps. higher power being 200watt or more per channel into 4ohms.

I'm in no hurry, will keep looking.

Well, I did build the nxv200 from Aussie Amplifiers and I can strongly recommend them.I do not know if that is what you are looking for.

yup, that's one that I had lots of interest in but the price is up there
once you add everything up.

how do you like the sound? do you use it for movies or music?

thx

I love the sound! I use it for movies and music. The best of all is the sound is not fatiguing at all. I loved it so much that I ordered a second pair. You will be not disappointed.just check specifications and feedback from people that have already gotten these small tanks. This is a picture of my nxv200 integrated amplifier.

PS:I spent around $600 total. but if you can savage some parts from an old amp like: caps, bridge rectifier, transformer, chassis and other parts, you can save a lot. You get one pair of nxv200 (stereo) for almost $300 including s/h. it will take like a week.

Attachments

• nxv200.JPG
    nxv200.JPG
    972.5 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:
very nice lanchile! hmm, worth looking into further. the key is fatiguing you mentioned is not there with this amp.

I have a Pioneer AVR with the ICE amps, don't care for the sound these digital amps produce.

Yeah,That is the key!!! I can listen to it all day and still want some more.
I had so many good commercial amps including Bryston B60 and Bryston 4B But this amp kicked their butts big time! I am not joking.

is your psu standard CRC? you got me going on these aussie amps now.

are they self biasing or you need to tweek a trimmer?

thanks

Well, as you saw my amp, it is a simple power supply using some smooth caps on bottom of each mur860 (bridge rectifier board from Audiosector). These amp kits are tested and biased by Anthony before they leave.You do not need to adjust nothing just plug and play!!!. I will post some pictures of these high quality boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.