Voltage Doubler Supply for Power Amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone out there used a half-wave voltage doubler for a power amp PS?

I have on hand a 1000VA XF with dual 25 V secondaries; and I need to build a +/- 70VDC supply. Rather than spend more money on a dual 50V XF, I had the thought to put the two 25V secondaries in series and then use a voltage doubler to get +/- 50V RMS, or 70V when the caps charge up to the peaks of the sine waves.

Any caveats/precautions, other than using a lot of reservoir capacitance? Reasons not to do it at all?

Thanks in advance.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you're not already planning to do so, you might consider using a bridge amplifier circuit topology, as this will cut your supply rail requirements roughly in half for a given output power. With a bridge circuit, for example, a stiff +/- 35V DC is good for 200W RMS into 8 ohms, or 400W into 4.

djk said:
I go along with Joe, build a bridge amp.

No, I'll just buy the "right" XF to supply power for the amp I'm planning to build.

djk said:
A voltage doubler supply has such low efficency your transformer wouldn't be big enough anyway.

My command of physics is a little weak; could you point me to a source that will better illuminate the reasons for a voltage doubler's low efficiency?

Thanks.

Joined 2001
Paid Member
NiccoloDeiConti said:
[C]ould you point me to a source that will better illuminate the reasons for a voltage doubler's low efficiency?

Voltage multipliers are covered in most books on power supply design, but I don't recall seeing any that discuss efficiency. The reason may be that traditional voltage multiplier applications don't demand high current delivery along with the high voltage.

It's the high current demand of your application that could make a doubler an inefficient solution. To get anything close to double the normal output voltage, you'll need to use caps of roughly the same size as your main filter caps in series with the rectifiers in your doubler circuit, in order to minimize their voltage drops under load.

djk said:
A voltage doubler supply has such low efficency your transformer wouldn't be big enough anyway. Plus the filter caps need to be 4X as big, and the diode surge currents too.
Voltage doubler efficiency is the same as a normal bridge rectifier setup IME. I'm not sure why people would say otherwise. You just have to use big caps, that's all. Maybe the caps do need to be 4 times as big, but at only *half* the voltage so the energy per cap works out the same anyway. Diode current is no big deal in this day and age.

I say build it, and if you decide it isn't suitable then just add two diodes and a new tranny. Not much to lose there.

Circlotron said:

Voltage doubler efficiency is the same as a normal bridge rectifier setup IME.
I have personal experience from work which proves the opposite. I thought I was smart when I had a voltage doubler, I wasn't! Since I increased the voltage from the transformer instead we got less trouble with heat. It was a small thing with only a 1.5 VA transformer.

Let's assume a reasonable sized transformer, say 300VA, not a flea-power one. Now if a voltage doubler is less efficient than a full wave bridge then the wasted power must be going somewhere, i.e. something must be getting very hot. Does it? What about switchmode psu's like in pc's. They usually have a voltage doubler input for 120vac and bridge for 240vac. Doesn't seem to be a problem there.

Q1. Assuming we have 50vac to a bridge and 25vac to a voltage doubler, what is the approximate efficiency of each?

Q2. Have you ever actually built a voltage doubler or are you just repeating what others have said?

BTW, I am talking about a *full-wave* voltage doubler where one end of the tranny connects to the junction of the two electro's and the other end of the tranny connects to the two diodes, the cathode of one going to the free positive end of one electro and the anode of the other diode going to the free negative end of the other electro.

Half-wave voltage doublers? :dead:

I played with this in a power supply program. Even if I made the caps in the doubler 4X as big it still had less voltage. That counts as a loss in my book.

When a commercial design with a doubler comes in, the first thing I check is the doubler.

Actually, I shouldn't gripe. I've made a lot of money fixing the things over the years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.