20 Watts Car Stereo Amp with TDA2004

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Will you please advise me on this project?
I want to build a small car audio amplifier to get the experience. I found this 20 watts stereo amp using the TDA2004 at 20 Watts Car Stereo Amplifier Using TDA2004 | Free Circuit Diagram (I am not even sure if it is an IC or a transistor...), but the schematics seem
"understandable" to me.
Anyway, would you please "mentor" me on this. I am 55, live in Israel and work in the audio industry (loudspeaker manufacturing), and I will really appreciate any help on this project.

Do check this will deliver the power you expect, google for the data sheet. Into a 4ohm speaker you may get 6watts a channel at 1% distortion or so.
The 20 watts stated is only into 1.6ohm bridged (as a mono amp) at quite a bit of distortion.
There are a range of Chip amps (this is one) of different powers, ask in the Chip amp forum for recommendations.

High distortion... I pass! LOL

...you may get 6watts a channel at 1% distortion or so.
The 20 watts stated is only into 1.6ohm bridged (as a mono amp) at quite a bit of distortion..

Thank you Spiny. I am an audiophile at home, so I am used to levels of distortion of 0-comma-00something... 1% seems good for guitar amps, LOL!
A friend also told me that the problem with car amps is the voltage available: 12VDC is way too weak, and bringing it up is a task for a factory.
But I am not disheartened, because what I want to accomplish is to build an amp *that works*, so I will look for a home project.
DIYAudio looks like the place to find it!

My current project is a DIY bookshelf speaker (MTM with Morel drivers). It makes great music with my Hafler 9270, and I am disassembling it tonight to start the finishing job (primer and paint).

A great week to all you guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.