Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2010, 08:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 20 Watts Car Stereo Amp with TDA2004

Will you please advise me on this project?
I want to build a small car audio amplifier to get the experience. I found this 20 watts stereo amp using the TDA2004 at 20 Watts Car Stereo Amplifier Using TDA2004 | Free Circuit Diagram (I am not even sure if it is an IC or a transistor...), but the schematics seem
"understandable" to me.
Anyway, would you please "mentor" me on this. I am 55, live in Israel and work in the audio industry (loudspeaker manufacturing), and I will really appreciate any help on this project.
Old 17th February 2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Spiny is offline Spiny  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Do check this will deliver the power you expect, google for the data sheet. Into a 4ohm speaker you may get 6watts a channel at 1% distortion or so.
The 20 watts stated is only into 1.6ohm bridged (as a mono amp) at quite a bit of distortion.
There are a range of Chip amps (this is one) of different powers, ask in the Chip amp forum for recommendations.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:41 AM   #3
coit is offline coit  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm 57 and I run 2 X 2024 Sure amps from the line level outputs on my car stereo.I stuck them in the pocket in the dash under the radio-hooked up the front speakers to one amp and the rears to the other.
It sounds great.
coit
Old 20th February 2010, 05:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Wink High distortion... I pass! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiny View Post
...you may get 6watts a channel at 1% distortion or so.
The 20 watts stated is only into 1.6ohm bridged (as a mono amp) at quite a bit of distortion..
Thank you Spiny. I am an audiophile at home, so I am used to levels of distortion of 0-comma-00something... 1% seems good for guitar amps, LOL!
A friend also told me that the problem with car amps is the voltage available: 12VDC is way too weak, and bringing it up is a task for a factory.
But I am not disheartened, because what I want to accomplish is to build an amp *that works*, so I will look for a home project.
DIYAudio looks like the place to find it!

My current project is a DIY bookshelf speaker (MTM with Morel drivers). It makes great music with my Hafler 9270, and I am disassembling it tonight to start the finishing job (primer and paint).

A great week to all you guys!

Hide this!Advertise here!