Bose Wave Music Syst. Ultimate Sound? Gallery from inside Devices - Serv. Man. wanted - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2010, 12:18 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Are there no schematics?
Old 19th February 2010, 02:01 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
Are there no schematics?
NO! They want to fix it too.That is how they work.
Old 19th February 2010, 02:14 PM   #13
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The BOSE WAVE is certainly not the best system I have ever heard, but when you take everything into account... the compact size of the system being the biggest one, it does have a very impressive sound quality... far beyond any similarly sized unit.
Old 19th February 2010, 02:24 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
The BOSE WAVE is certainly not the best system I have ever heard, but when you take everything into account... the compact size of the system being the biggest one, it does have a very impressive sound quality... far beyond any similarly sized unit.
I can achieve that sound with less than $30 worth of parts put inside a regular alarm clock (so that takes care of the looks as well). Two decent 2" drivers, a compressor circuit and a delay to achieve that so-called 3D sound. Done.
Old 19th February 2010, 02:39 PM   #15
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

the point is, only Bose and B&O are doing things like this... it may be simple to do but if noone else is doing it, and it sells, why not do it and make a profit?
Old 19th February 2010, 02:40 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3 uN1Qu3 View Post
I can achieve that sound with less than $30 worth of parts put inside a regular alarm clock (so that takes care of the looks as well). Two decent 2" drivers, a compressor circuit and a delay to achieve that so-called 3D sound. Done.
Hehehehe But if you buy in big quantity,I bet you can build one for $20.
Two decent 2" drivers? you can try small car speaker (coaxial) and achieve better sound than those call "wide range".

This is what I found about the small drivers.
Frequency Response 280 Hz to 13.3k Hz at 10.5 dB
Sensitivity (SPL at 1 meter)* 85.1 dB N/A
Impedance (minimum/nominal) 5.3/8 ohms N/A

* measured with 2.8 volts of pink-noise input

Last edited by lanchile; 19th February 2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 19th February 2010, 03:58 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Hehehehe But if you buy in big quantity,I bet you can build one for $20.
Two decent 2" drivers? you can try small car speaker (coaxial) and achieve better sound than those call "wide range".
The tweeters on car speakers always suck, i avoid them because of that. As a matter of fact i have some 2" drivers that handle 150-18kHz well (resonance at 200ish Hz but do okay a bit lower), that i bought for $3 a piece.

As for the specs, i've seen them in more than one place. They seem to be the generalized specs for all Bose mid/treble speakers. I don't think they are THAT bad, but i'm not gonna buy one to find out.

I did intend to buy an used pair of Bose MediaMates for $100 just to prove that they aren't any better than the $15 variety, but i spent my money on better things. I think the main reason why they sell (besides the obvious brand name), is that the specs are better than products in their range (heck, 25W is out of the ordinary for an alarm clock), and that there will always be "best-buy" type customers to fool. When your only audio reference are products you find in a supermarket, Bose does sound good.
Old 26th March 2010, 03:30 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

here you will find some high quality products from Bose's early series (not only loudspeakers):
BOSE 901 Lautsprecher - Reparatur
Old 27th March 2010, 03:07 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiefbassuebertr View Post
here you will find some high quality products from Bose's early series (not only loudspeakers):
BOSE 901 Lautsprecher - Reparatur
Well if that what you call "high quality". I have been wrong all these years!!! lol. My father used to use those "901" as stands for flower pots, but the bad thing is when they get wet they expanded too much because the "particle board material".
Old 27th March 2010, 10:01 AM   #20
sasmit is offline sasmit  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sasmit
you'll find the same thing if you open up a lot of so called high quality stuff. Apple ipod vs sony walkman, sound quality of the sony is leaps and bounds beyond that of the apple ..but look at the sales and general perception. The point is BOSE has managed to provide some amount of sound quality in a segment where it was non existent earlier. One of the best products in this segment IMHO is B&W Zepellin Apple iPod® Speaker System - Zeppelin B&W | Bowers & Wilkins

Hide this!Advertise here!