Bose Wave Music Syst. Ultimate Sound? Gallery from inside Devices - Serv. Man. wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

This is the currently version:
It is claimed here in Germany by some advertisements, that this would be the smallest HiFi system without separately speakers that provides the best exist sound reproduction over the world.

And animals of the genus Sus Scrofa are well known for their aeronautical and aerobatic abilities.

At one HiFi Show in London we has an earlier version bolted to a cabinet in the room. So we could not remove it. Hence we decieded to play it as "reference system" for normal people, who would walk into the room and be taken aback by all the high end paraphernaliae.

It went like this (E = Xibitor - e.g. Me, N = Normal people):

E: "Do you think B*se is a good Brand?"
N: "Yes! Of course, the best!"
E: "Let us play you the B*se W*veradio!"
N: "Yes please"
E: " Do you think this is good sound?"
N: "Yes, it is very good!"
E: "Yes, we think so too (lying through our teeth)"
E: "Would you like to hear our system?"
N: "Sure, you think you can do better?"
E: "Maybe, just a little..."

Walks over, retrieves the CD from the W*veradio.

Places CD in modified Shanling CD-T100 driving a Music First TVC Preamp and a pair of modified pair of Shanling SP-80 Monoblock, Speakers are open baffles
using modified Supravox Fullrangers.

Presses "PLAY".

N: ..... Censored, very bad language. Curse B*se as @#$%^&*()*&^%$#$%^.

E: "This system costs much more than the W*veradio, but we can offer something for similar money that is still much better, if not as good as this..."

Bottom line, we turned on that weekend three or four families (residing in the hotel) towards real hifi and we turned probably another ten forever off B*se.

We did this spiel for one US Journalist. He nearly needed a heimlich manouver and first aid, he laughed so hard... :p

I'd like call the B*se w*veradio "complete junk". But sadly it ain't that good.

At the time I owned a 50 Pound (at the time 75 Euro) wall-hanging china made system that echoed B&O styling cues and was somewhat modified, hanging in the bedroom.

I'd class the sonics as around "complete junk" level.

It sounded MUCH BETTER than the waveradio it was not funny and did all other things the B*se product did. Eventually the ex-wife took it (and the house, the HiFi and the big Plasma TV and...).

I guess you always have the benefit of B*se's superior service. Hey, why do you need schematics for it, with all that excellent B*se customer service?

Ciao T

PS, I have not yet encountered a B*se product that is competitive with halve or less money spend on something decent of the same genre. Of course, non of the competitors run advertisements on national TV or full page adds in the national press.

Last edited:
Apple ipod vs sony walkman, sound quality of the sony is leaps and bounds beyond that of the apple ..

Egad! If that is true... I'm speechless.
I was given a Sony Walkman - the 'digital' kind that plays MP3 files etc. that was so dreadful I never used it beyond auditioning.
If the apple is worse than that, it defies understanding!

(And no it isn't my MP3 files at fault - they are about average when played on a DVD player, as good as can be expected)

Bose has a advertisement about their Wave" Radio on the cover page from the German magazine "ADAC" (German automobile club, december 2010). The magazine with the largest circulation (12 Mio editions !!)

Review about this product and the advertisement of Bose in German:
Bose Wave Music System im Test: High-Tech-Radiowecker ? oder Oma-HiFi-Anlage? » neuerdings.com

I need still the service manuals of all editions.

You will not get the service manual. They are smart! they want you to send it to them for service...that way they can "take" you money this way too.
I will never recommend Bose to anyone. just get a regular radio clock and get a marker and write on front of radio the word Bose...that way you will be happy to "know" you have "THE" Bose staff.
:hypno2:

Shame on Bose...taking low priced components & packaging and cleverly marketing them to the clueless for a shameful profit margin. Nothing like that going on in the land of true hifi.:rolleyes: Nobody selling tarted-up interconnects, speaker cables and power cords for hundred$, thousand$ or more. Nobody shrinkwrapping $1 resistors and transforming them into $100 quantum gizmos. Nobody pushing so-so sounding speakers for mid-5 to over-6 figure ranges. Bad, bad Bose!:mad:

Evidence please. My experience contradicts yours.

my ears :p , I have the pleasure of owning both an 160gb ipod classic as well as a sony NWZ E-444. Using the same ear plugs , the walkman always ended up sounding better .
The earplugs were Sony MDR-ED12LP...although you wouldn't really call them audiophile earphones they sound good.I also heard the sony through the apple bundle earphones again the sony sounded better. All of these without any sound processing enabled and equalizer on default settings. Of course if you enable sound processing the Sony is way ahead and is much more customizable than the apple..

Differences between MP3, also Vinyl and CDs always existed

Sorry, but the idea is differences in sound.... i will just let this single post here.

I could never do this test...to compare vinyl with CD...i always perceived CD as something very bad...mufled and with too much bass...but i could not keep a collection of vinyl, too much expensive..and old ones are scratched...so..technology and price keep me distant from the best audio related to the audio source.

It is very possible differences in sonics as some guys say...also this depends on speaker or earplug.

I found this and listening is said!

- "Yeah!...exactly what i always perceived about the stuff "

We hate that..but these Boose sounds really good...of course they are expensive...but sound is also impressive to it's size.

I know distortion is high..once again you see that small numbers cannot guarantee audio quality... Sinergy is the word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtZh5sE3zi0&feature=grec_index

regards,

Carlos

I listened recently to Bose's bestest quality iPod dock. Played a little of my own music, and listened to it outside the Bose shop in a nearby city.

The first time, when turned up past ~70% on my iPod Touch, it distorted horribly. "Woofers" bottomed out, amplifiers clipped - hard. Okay, so it was pretty loud, but you'd expect some kind of limiter or something at the price (£550). Turned down a bit, to a more realistic level, there was some impression of bass. Wallowy, mushy mid-bass (thumps became closer to rumbles), but the impression was there. Treble wasn't a strong point, neither was vocals. I was told this was top of the line, you really ought to spend all that money and get this.

Outside the Bose shop, someone had obviously found a way to increase bass output. Boom, boom. Cheap, nasty cabinet vibrating like mad. The headphones inside, while doing fairly well at blocking out external noises, were *very* bass heavy, with the rest of the music taking a back seat. Playing something small-scale and acoustic, it was still terrible.

I also listened to the B&W Zeppelin (and the Mini version), which was very good. Not as good as my Fostexes, but the simple, ported enclosure, with a reasonable driver size meant there was bass output (sure, it wouldn't go to 30Hz, but 40Hz output isn't bad). Despite their efforts, there wasn't a wide stereo image, but vocals and things did reasonably well. Treble was clear, but not overbearing (adjustable in settings in the iPod, handy).
The Mini was outstanding. I still believe they've put a couple of 5" midbasses in there. From a pair of 3" drivers, there's a f6 of 38Hz. It went reasonably loud, too. Not earth-shaking, but enough to annoy parents should the need arise. The rest of the sound was clear enough, though you could tell there was some heavy signal processing going on in there. Not quite natural, but very impressive.

Chris

PS - I know it's not completely on topic, but Apple iPods, given LossLess files, and some decent headphones/speakers, are by far better than anything else I've tried. Given MP3s (even 320k ones), they still show up what's wrong with them. Designated MP3 players may fudge this (I know my old one did, it was nice to listen to, but there wasn't the same detail etc on offer).

I got a non CD player version for free, after I let my sister use my employee discount to buy a lifestyle dolby digital system that was on close out way below cost to usher in new built in DVD player model. (Yes, I know... She wanted to NOT see the speakers :p ) AND, they still let her use the coupon for a free wave radio :D. She was kind enough to give it to me. I also got a pair of roommateII's for 45 bucks brand new (back when good portable speakers were hard to find and these were 300 bucks when new!!!!!!!) and a yamaha 10 band EQ for 2o bucks. I hooked the eq up with all the frequencies below 150 cranked way down, the highs cranked way up :D, and split the signal before EQ to send to a little subwoofer.
It sounded awesome. And for way less that I could ever afford if new, or with receiver and regular speakers.
I was not aware of the wave radio price, I just thought it was a bad a55 little unit for what it was, and for flexibility. Not to mention free.
When I saw the retail price (always sells for it since it's mail order catalog only) I just about crapped myself laughing.
Not worth that much, sorry. 300 bucks without cd player?
When the CD version came out, I freaked out. Then I saw the add on cd changer.
Wow, some happy house wife is going to be happy in her kitchen.
I do like the little bugger. And the roommateII's were awesome when I use to travel for a living.
But I have never owned a new Bose piece of equipment, nor will I ever.
This ownership was under extraneous circumstances, and was usually relegated to PC sound system status.
If you can find it at a swap meet, or if your sister is nice enough to give it to you, or you can find cheap stuff on closeout and you get an employee discount.... Well...
Maybe you will change your mind. A little :D :D
Once I learned the basics of speaker design, and really looked into Bose back in the late 80's... I got turned off big time. I thought the acoustimass module (Don't call it a subwoofer! EVER) was awesome at first. Then I realised it's a big fart cannon.
Of course, most people don't do the acoustically transparent curtain to compare speakers.
I made my Mom close her eyes when I auditioned speakers for her back in the day. She ended up buying the biggest, most expensive speakers the place I worked sold. (Not high end, but decent, and I was lucky enough to inherit them when she moved out of her place years later :D).
I have had NO problems with my mp3 player hooked up, or any other source. BUT
I never played it loud. Nor did I play it much with internal speakers. What's the point?
:D :D :D
I will not dismiss a company for having great marketing, or a niche.
I listen with my ears, and by looking at the facts... Forget the hype...

P.S what normal people make little amps, speakers and piece shizzle together?
Not very many people. And WAF plays a part here, too. That is why Bose exists.

It's small like your regular portable "boom box". It DOES sound better than your average "boom box". Sound reproduction is neither important or a hobby to the majority of the population. Most of the population is terminally STUPID.

Take into account these prior considerations, and the fact that Bose spent 10's of millions advertising these products to the "population". The population does not want to be educated or filled with knowledge , it just wants it's fast food , transportation , and entertainment. Convenience , cheap , disposable (walmart)..... "the neighbor has one" :D

As far as quality , it blows most Walmart "made in China" audio away
even as it also was made in china (bose spec'ed it rigorously).
OS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.