Adcom GFA 535 power switch sticking - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2010, 01:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Adcom GFA 535 power switch sticking

Hello,
I just got a 535 (a-b spkrs model) on ebay for $120.00.
As soon as I hooked it up I found the on-off switch is sticking
when pushed on, and I have to repeatedly push it in until it finally clicks and shuts off. They did not mention this issue on ebay.
Is this an easy fix at my local Adcom repair shop? Or maybe an easy D.I.Y? I can deal with a minor hassle, but if it is too much of a hassle, I am thinking about returning it to the seller.
Thanks for any input!
Cbrown0034
Old 14th February 2010, 03:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown0034 View Post
Hello,
when pushed on, and I have to repeatedly push it in until it finally clicks and shuts off. They did not mention this issue on ebay.
Is this an easy fix at my local Adcom repair shop? Or maybe an easy D.I.Y? I can deal with a minor hassle, but if it is too much of a hassle, I am thinking about returning it to the seller.
Thanks for any input!
Cbrown0034
To change a power switch is very easy. Do you know if it is a dp or sp switch?
Old 14th February 2010, 03:33 AM   #3
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

funny Ive only used the pwr switch on mine maybe 10 times in 16yrs . for all I know mines the same way ... My amp runs continuously for the last 4 years and I use it everyday for PC speakers. I think most other folks let the preamp do all the power switching anyways. Why sweat it
Old 14th February 2010, 03:39 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrown0034 View Post
Hello,
Thanks for any input!
Cbrown0034
Ok, this is a typical way of a DP power switch wiring.
The SP switch uses just the hot for in and out.
Attached Images
File Type: png psw-f2.png (18.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 14th February 2010, 03:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Wow lanchile you did a lot of work there EDIT>sorry oops I see a nicked esp graphic
Wiring it up the same way is the easy part if you take a pic and label the wires, the hard part is desoldering it from the PCB, and fitting in a new switch if you can locate a source for a part or pay ADCOM.
FWIW The Adcom GFA has 2 power transformer and the fuse comes before the switch to protect safely.

Last edited by infinia; 14th February 2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 15th February 2010, 12:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinia View Post
Wow lanchile you did a lot of work there EDIT>sorry oops I see a nicked esp graphic
Wiring it up the same way is the easy part if you take a pic and label the wires, the hard part is desoldering it from the PCB, and fitting in a new switch if you can locate a source for a part or pay ADCOM.
FWIW The Adcom GFA has 2 power transformer and the fuse comes before the switch to protect safely.
LOL, I never said I did this graphic...Did I?, I just posted it for him to understand a little more how to wire a power switch. if to change a switch is to much for him. I think He should pay someone to do it for him.
Old 15th February 2010, 01:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips! I will probably opt to have it repaired locally and in the meantime just run it thru a powerstrip so I don't have to use the switch. Got another question now...I am running this amp to a set of studio monitors.(Yamaha NS-10's) I am using recording software on a computer and speaker out to the amp straight to the speakers. As it is now, I have to use the windows' volume control to adjust the monitor levels. I would like to go to some kind of outboard passive volume control instead of working the little volume slider that windows provides. I have heard of one such product called a "Nano Patch". Anyone familiar with this particular volume control? I am familiar with the Mackie Big Knob, but that is a little out of my price range at the moment. Any comparable controls, ideas, suggestions, thoughts are again very much appreciated! Thanks guys.
Cbrown034
Old 15th February 2010, 01:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'd just use a dual 10K pot for passive DIY or an outboard EQ for active? DIY or ebay
Old 15th February 2010, 03:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hey lanchile, thanks for the graphic! That really helps me understand how the wiring works! Thanks to everybody else for your thoughts as well, I really appreciate all this help!!
Cbrown0034

Hide this!Advertise here!