Small signal Mosfet AB PA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BS170 is a 60V 0.5A MOSFET. Max power dissipation is 0.3W. May be you can parallel many of them to achieve your goal but you may need more than 100...

Slideman82, DIY power amplifier design starts by deciding how much power to put on what kind of load. From there, you can pick a suitable output device, heatsink, power transformer, etc. Then you can have fun meddling around on the circuit.
I design low voltage amp for my own use since I rarely need more than 2W output on 6 ohm speaker. But even for me, BS170 won't do well. Regardless, if you come up with an extraordinary design with BS170, share with us! :)

Have fun!

BS170 is a 60V 0.5A MOSFET. Max power dissipation is 0.3W. May be you can parallel many of them to achieve your goal but you may need more than 100...

Slideman82, DIY power amplifier design starts by deciding how much power to put on what kind of load. From there, you can pick a suitable output device, heatsink, power transformer, etc. Then you can have fun meddling around on the circuit.
I design low voltage amp for my own use since I rarely need more than 2W output on 6 ohm speaker. But even for me, BS170 won't do well. Regardless, if you come up with an extraordinary design with BS170, share with us! :)

Have fun!

Great reply!!!!!!!! So, we could do it quasi complementary with BS250's? Load? 8 or 4 ohms...

Unfortunately I don't know how to design a PA yet...

I was thinking a bit, and the idea of using an existing PA with a small power transformer (for example, 12V dual supply and 1 or 2A) could work for me!

Yikes, 300mW maximum dissipation is not a good omen, it really does need dozens of them to get any meaningful power unless you want to design for some very high efficiency speakers. If you have to go buy a transformer etc. it might be worth to consider buying some power transistors. If this is acceptable you could pick out a circuit that is known to work as there are quite a few around (search for Carlos' DX amplifier and look at Nelson Pass DIY)

If you do want to use these devices - how many do you have that you can parallel up?

Hmmm. Even for 2 to 5W output power, the output devices have to be packed in case with around 30W to 50W power dissipation and better be mounted on a heatsink. You still need around 100 devices if you stick to BS170. BS170 (and almost all other MOSFETs) has higher saturation voltage compared to BJTs (so they need higher power supply voltage) which in turn results in more power to dissipate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.