uk supply of motorola - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2010, 04:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default uk supply of motorola

Can anyone suggest a reliable source of Motorola MJ15003 and MJ15004? The usual suspects Farnell, RS are perpetually out of stock.
The last lot I had from CPC were all manner of mixed batches, ages and makes, some looking very chinese indeed.
Old 6th February 2010, 05:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A couple of decent suppliers on ebay

so far so good

This shipment I got just took a week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg partz.jpg (110.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 6th February 2010, 11:07 PM   #3
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

wouldnt risk ebay!

RS has them in stock, although they are made by ST. I wouldn't be concerned by that.

CPC are probably selling the "Multicomp" brand, whatever that may be... as they are really a subsidiary of Farnell.

What about ordering directly from OnSemi?
Old 7th February 2010, 02:21 AM   #4
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I only buy On Semiconductor, and only from authorized distributors.
Old 8th February 2010, 09:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Jaycee I already have some Motorola and simply need some more, I dont want to mix and match manufacturers in the stores or in an amp.

djk Yes On Semiconductor is the new name for Motorola of course, but if you're in the USA then it wont be so hard for you to obtain american parts!

The collapse of UK manufacturing over the last 10 years or so has decimated the supply of all sorts of parts, we now import parts direct from US suppliers as they're cheaper and more reliable, eg Jameco, Digikey, Newark etc.

Phaselock I wont buy semis off ebay as we'd prefer a quality assured source, the MJ range are being faked like mad at the moment. We repair amps via courier service and
can't afford to have an amp go out with dodgy or fake transistors in it.

Franchised distro's in the UK tend to have massive MOQ's or minimum order values, I think I'll just bide my time with Farnell, though they're over 4 ($6.30) a piece
here!
Old 8th February 2010, 09:48 PM   #6
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't worry about any difference between Motorola and ON - nothing changed except for Motorola splitting off their discrete semiconductor division into an independant company and calling it ON (the processor division got split off and called Freescale in a similar way). Even the manufacturing plants will be the same.
Old 11th February 2010, 05:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about any difference between Motorola and ON
That's not what I'm worried about. It's about mixing motorola/ON with other makes on the same amp.

Sorted now, I ordered a whole batch of SGS-Thomson transistors from RS France and when they arrived...they'd sent ON-Semi ones instead! Back of the Net!
Old 11th February 2010, 11:06 PM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

I always order outputs in flats of 100, better price, better matching, less chance of mis-handled parts (dropped on floor, and then shipped to me).

Hide this!Advertise here!