Heathkit AR-1500 cap replacements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just a quick question for you guys.

I'm rebuilding my old Heathkit AR-1500 receiver.

Replacing all the electrolytic caps. There's two power supply filter caps, 6000μF 55VDC cans that I'm thinking of using these to replace them.....Panasonic TSHA 10,000uF 63VDC. Seems like a pretty good price for that size cap.

Do you see any problems using these?
I'll be stuffing them in the old cans.

Thanks,
John

Just a quick question for you guys.

I'm rebuilding my old Heathkit AR-1500 receiver.

Replacing all the electrolytic caps. There's two power supply filter caps, 6000μF 55VDC cans that I'm thinking of using these to replace them.....Panasonic TSHA 10,000uF 63VDC. Seems like a pretty good price for that size cap.

Do you see any problems using these?
I'll be stuffing them in the old cans.

Thanks,
John

The inrush current will be considerably higher. Depending on the bridge rectifier, it _could_ fail (not very likely) but for certain the power switch will wear out faster. You might notice a change in the low end performance - likely better.

The inrush current will be considerably higher. Depending on the bridge rectifier, it _could_ fail (not very likely) but for certain the power switch will wear out faster. You might notice a change in the low end performance - likely better.

Thanks for the info.

I think I found a better match that shouldn't create any of the problems you mentioned.
6800 uF 80V

Thanks,
John

More data for this unit. I went with a bit lighter caps, United Chemi-Con 5600uF 63V. Fantastic sound, base, etc. Ended up buying some more of these receivers on ebay.

I ended up cooking power switches on two units. No worries though, the replacement E-Switch P227EE2A18B I bought seems to be working well after about 20 hours of use. I had to bend the switch cam rocker arm wire a bit for some reason...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.