Advent receiver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2010, 08:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advent receiver

Hey guys,

I have an Advent receiver I replaced the output transistors on a few years back. The power amp is quiet and works fine. But.

The preamp has always had a high level of hiss since I received the unit a few years ago. Is there a common cause of this in these preamps? I know its the preamp because I can disconnect it from the power amp via the RCA jacks on the back and drive another power amp with it. The noise I am talking about is from AUX input not just the phono stage.

I'd like to use the preamp in it with a chipamp im building but the noise will drive me crazy.

Also, the tuner has terrible sensitivity, any common problems on this as well?
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I bought one of those new way back when. I found that most of that hiss came from
the poor quality power supply caps. If I were solving this problem today I would either replace the power supply caps with better ones or bypass them with a pair
of 470uf low esr caps. What I did do back in 1979? was bypass the power supply caps with a pair of 47uf tantalums in parallel with a pair of 15uf tantalums this cut
the hiss about 8db.
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Really?!?
Power supply filters can actually cause high frequency noise? Interesting.

If its that simple i'll just swap them out with new ones + bypass them with some .01's.
Old 3rd February 2010, 12:24 AM   #4
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, when you think of all the components of a large electrolytic, you have the capacitance, a resistance, and the fact that the foil 'plates' are rolled up into a coil produces inductance. This is why they are generally bi-passed with small metal film caps.

Also they absorb moisture and decompose over time and do need to be replaced periodically.

Last edited by CBS240; 3rd February 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:24 AM   #5
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Keep talkin' guys.

I have the 12V model I bought new. It accumulated mileage in a 1971 Ford Maverick....playing through Polk Audio mini-monitors.

Jeez, I'm feelin' old. Gotta go sulk...
Old 3rd February 2010, 01:57 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Ed,

That is a rare & valuable one. Between Chris & i we have 3 of the AC model (2 in need of attention). Sold a ton of them too (until the apperance of the NAD 3020/7020)/ I love the Scott-style tuning vernier.

dave
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I wish I knew what was wrong with the tuner. The only thing I am aware of being physically wrong is one of the ferrites is cracked in one of the coils. Perhaps way out of tune, but its broken up and its not moving. If anyone has spare parts, I could use em.
The tuner works, its just very weak. And I seem to remember excess noise when receiving a stereo signal, even a strong one, Perhaps all related to less then perfect filter cans?

I doubt thats causing the sensitivty issue tho. The coil with the cracked core is the one right infront of the tuner on the right side of the tuning cap.
Old 3rd February 2010, 02:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi people. I started to get intrigued by this post when I didn't see the model number... And when I heard "dc version". Is this the kind receiver you are talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-ADVENT-M...item3efc8f1d1c

Last edited by gain wire; 3rd February 2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: corrected hyperlink
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:10 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Yes. Advent 300.

dave
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:19 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Here is a better pic than that in the eBay advert

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Advent300-800.jpg (22.2 KB, 32 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!