Headphone tap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am using a nice little realistic SA-102 Amplifier to run headphones. The amplifier has 10W per channel. My headphones are AKG K240. Power was a little low and distorted before they were loud enough so I changed the resistor that are in series to Headphone jack. The originals were 330 Ohm. I installed some 200 Ohm in place. Seems to have improved. Is this the Ideal method? Will I improve quality by going to a lesser resistor. I know very little about the amp (or any amp for that matter). It is my understanding that the amp is class a and has 10v at the rails. It is a surprisingly linear and transparent amp. I would like to see a little more volume out of the headphones. I am using it strictly for headphones.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
200 ohm should be fine. From what I see it's real low powered amp so the voltage swing will be very limited... so on that basis perhaps even 150 ohms may be more suitable... in any case you'll blow your ears off long before the headphones pop so just be sensible and choose something that works well with your phones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.